Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New to Krags - New Toy... (Read 2313 times)
RP
KCA Forum Member

New to Krags - New Toy...
Jul 18th, 2004 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Newe guy here...Got this from a family who had sold off most of their father's collection.  This and a few other pieces were all that was left.  I took this as I've always wanted a Krag, but honestly had no idea what I was buying.  I've done some initial research and I think it was a decent purchase ($600?).  Can someone verify and is it worth restoring? Also interested in understanding the significane of the 1898 stamping on reciever as well as cartouche on stock.  Is thing thing all correct?

Some Pics below:

Appreciate any assistance.
Thanks, RP

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ken_in_Iowa
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: New to Krags - New Toy...
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 3:41am
Print Post  
RP-

Well, we have a hit on that serial number, congrats!

115720 - 98R - 99 - CO M 1ST TERR USV INF -

That Model 1898 rifle was issued to Company M, 1ST TERR USV INF in 1899.  The stock cartouche indicates that it was completed in 1898.

This rifle would originally have had a Model 1896 rear sight.  It was later reworked with the Model 1901 rear sight.  This modification was quite common.

You can get some documentation (for a fee) from Springfield Research Service at (You need to Login to view media files and links)

I don't know if I would recommend 'restoring' as it is in good order as-is.  The rifle looks complete, but has a little wear and tear over the last century.  It could use disassembly and a tender cleaning.

$600 would be a fair price, slightly more if the bore is very good.

Ken

IP Logged

RP
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Ken - appreciate your post here and on gunboards.  Very helpful.  Can't wait to shoot her.  Curious, have you paid to get the paperwork from Springfield on your Krag(s).  Is it worth it in the long run for value?

Thanks again - I'll post with range results.

RP

IP Logged

Ken_in_Iowa
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 12:38am
Print Post  
RP-

I have never been lucky enough to have a gun in the SRS database.  Only about 5% of the Krags are in there.  Some of the thumbnails are incredibly intriquing though.

Personally I would do it as it would enhance the interest and value of the rifle. 

Ken

IP Logged

RP
KCA Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Ken - posting here and on Gunboards - Thought it would interest you to know that I just got the research back from Springfield Research and the gentleman that was issued my rifle was born in Essex Iowa, I take it your home state.  They sent me photocopies of his whole service record and all they had on the history of the rifle, absolutely amazing stuff. 

I can only speculate, but my gut says this rifle remained in such great shape because, as the records indicate, the Corporal who carried it contracted Malaria while serving and spent most of his service time in route to hospitals and on sick furlough.

Also interesting and amusing was a very deliberate entry that indicated the Corporal “…negligently lost 1 Knife worth 4 cents and 1 Fork, 3 cents.” As well he was erroneously listed as AWOL with entries that show the correction and pay withheld re-issued in full.

Can anyone reasonably say what this type of information does to the value of the rifle. Again she is in excellent condition.

Regards, RP

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo