Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 Krag (Read 1405 times)
yddraiggoch
Ex Member

1898 Krag
Jun 21st, 2007 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I have a 'Model 1898, US Springfield Armory 207228' (stamped on the breach) Krag. The only other markings are are on the left side of the stock: 3 initials I or J, S or L and A in script over 1898 in a cartouche and a circled P and 80 aft of the trigger guard. The bore looks like it hasn't been cleaned for generations and it certainly hasn't been fired in as long. It is in generally fine condition with the bluing intact throughout. It belonged to my wife's great uncle who graduated from West Point in 1916, served in the 1st WW and rose to the rank of General. How much is it worth and how can I sell it legally ?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: 1898 Krag
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
I would value the rifle at ROUGHLY $800, based on your description. but that is not an offer to purchase as I have enough Krags already! The initials are "JSA", but the date appears low, I'd expect 1899, for that number.  Depending on the person's name, and service record, the value could be greater. I'm tempted to ask why you would wish to sell an irreplaceable heirloom?  "Family" guns can NEVER be replaced if you should change your mind at a later date, and NO one would ever have a closer feeling for it than you. Does anyone else in the family want it? You should ask.

As to selling it "legally", I believe, since it is past the cutoff number of 152670* and thus considered a "firearm", YOU would be probably be more comfortable selling it to a licensed dealer or collector. But, I also believe it is classified as what is known as a "Curio and Relic", and, so long as you are not "in the business of selling guns", it could be sold to any adult who was legally entitled to purchase it, in your state, city, etc. Not being a "hot" crime/gang weapon the odds are infinitesmal that any problem would occur, unless the BATF agent's ticket quota was low, or they had a wild hair for some reason.

*The Krag is one of those arms which exposes the arrant stupidity of our bureaucrats - the rifles are either all "good" or all "bad"; just because one's number is such and so, does not change the fact that the items are ALL physically identical.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo