Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sight Screws (Read 6190 times)
Krag-n-CA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Sight Screws
Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
I hope this isn't a "stupid question" but are all of the sight screws on the Krag compatible with the different sights?

Specifically (for my purposes), are the 1896 sight screws compatible with the 1902 sights?

Thanks for your help...

IP Logged

newkragguy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sight Screws
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:02am
Print Post  
the sight screws for the 1896 and the 1902 are different sizes but only slightly and according to Poyer they could and often are used interchangeably.  specificly the 1896front screw was longer while the rear screw was the same size as both screws on the 1902

IP Logged

Krag-n-CA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2009 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Hmmm....

Okay.

So, they're not the same, but they can be used. That's good to know. What about other models like 1901 or 1898? I get a little leary about some of the screws I've seen for sale because they say something like "Krag and Trapdoor Sight Screws". It just makes me wonder...

Out of curiostity, does anyone know what thread size is used on the sight screws? Maybe I could find something that will work (in the meantime) while I'm looking for original replacements...

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
The 1901 sight has a different front screw that the sight pivots around.  Believe it or not the screws are metric, a holdover from French influence in the early days of our armories.  It is an M4 screw, but the pitch is 1mm and the standard pitch for an M4 now a days is .7mm.  I've found some old japanese made tip off mounts that have an M4x1.0 screw.

IP Logged

Krag-n-CA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2009 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Nov 12th, 2009 at 10:54pm:
It is an M4 screw, but the pitch is 1mm and the standard pitch for an M4 now a days is .7mm. 

So, what you're saying is that nothing found in my local hardware store will work in the meantime, correct...?  Wink

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2009 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
That is correct - nothing commonly available will fit properly.

But, the screws are not truly "metric" (and certainly not "M4", which is a 21st century term!) but they ARE 26 tpi, which is apparently as close as we decided to go in copying the French 25.4 tpi (1 mm pitch). As Madsenshooter says, our earliest arms were based on (in fact were almost direct copies of) French muskets.

So, treat Krag sight screws kindly - they are in short supply. In an emergency, an 8-32 brass screw (with head blackened) would work - in SOME applications. The front screw on the 1901, for example, pretty well has to be genuine.

IP Logged

Krag-n-CA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Nov 15th, 2009 at 4:43pm:
In an emergency, an 8-32 brass screw (with head blackened) would work - in SOME applications. The front screw on the 1901, for example, pretty well has to be genuine.

I assume this is because the brass is softer and will not damage the original screw holes, correct?

I'm trying to put an 1896 sight on that "school gun". If the brass screws will work, that might be okay. These little buggers are pretty hard to find...

Out of curiosity, are some "trapdoor Springfield" screws compatible with Krag sights? The reason I ask is because I see auctions pop up from time to time that say "Krag and/or Trapdoor Springfield". I'm always a bit leery of those...   Undecided

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
I've never tried to use a TD screw on a Krag, but I'm fairly sure the THREADS are identical. I looked at one of those ads - think it says something about emergency? If that is the one, I believe it was some sort of Bubba-fix, like my brass suggestion.  Smiley

What one really SHOULD do is go a legitimate parts dealer (there is a good list at trapdoorcollector.com) and buy the proper screws, even if they are $10 (or whatever) apiece.
It is not like they are totally unobtainable.

ABSOLUTELY NO promises as to when, could well be a year or more, but, since I am about done collecting, my 40-year stash of spares should probably be distributed around. Having said that, I do NOT think I have any Krag sight screws.

IP Logged

Krag-n-CA
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Nov 18th, 2009 at 2:05pm:
I've never tried to use a TD screw on a Krag, but I'm fairly sure the threads are identical. I looked at one of those ads - think it says something about emergency? If that is the one, I believe it was some sort of Bubba-fix, like my brass suggestion.  Smiley

What one really should do is go a legitimate parts dealer (there is a good list at trapdoorcollector.com) and buy the proper screws, even if they are $10 (or whatever) apiece.
It is not like they are totally unobtainable.

Absolutley no promises as to when, could well be a year or more, but, since I am about done collecting, my 40-year stash of spares should probably be distributed around. Having said that, I do not think I have any Krag sight screws.

I think I might have found a source for some OEM Krag screws but I'm still missing a front sight blade. The screws seem to be harder to find than the sight! This rifle was a wreck but it headspaced on a No-go gauge, so I'm trying to get it back into service. It's coming along, slowly but surely...

IP Logged

newkragguy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 1:33am
Print Post  
was looking for some parts myself and noticed that both of these places have the parts you need.
(You need to Login to view media files and links);    and    (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Have bought from both before. dependable and good quality.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo