Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Safety of 6.5 X 55 Swedish ammo in Norwegian Krag? (Read 50183 times)
tev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Safety of 6.5 X 55 Swedish ammo in Norwegian Krag?
Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 4:04am
Print Post  
All,

I tried to post the links to the ammo I'm talking about but the system wouldn't let me until I posted a first message.  So here's the first message.  Links to follow in next post.

Recent member.  I just bought a 1916 Norwegian Krag carbine and I don't yet know how to reload ammo.  I do shoot a number of vintage rifles, so I may take it up later.  But for now I'd really like to ask why the PRVI Partisan soft point 139 grain isn't ok in a vintage N Krag.

I've read that there are only two companies that make Krag-safe 6.5x55 ammo.  One of them is Norma.  The round is 144 grains and the muzzle velocity is listed as 780 meters/second.  If google did my math right, that ends up at 2559 fps:

So the question is - and I know nothing of chamber pressures, etc -- if PRVI Partisan SP 6.5x55 139 grain has a muzzle velocity of 2543 fps, isn't that close enough to Krag-safe Norma for range firing?

Thanks in advance.  I'll post pics of the rifle once I get it.

IP Logged

tev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 4:06am
Print Post  
The Norma ammo link is:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

The PRVI links is:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
You could email PRVI and see what they think.  As I said before, you likely have an oversized bore, and an undersized bullet.  The combination is not going to produce the same pressure as a nice new pressure testing barrel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo