Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
.303 Brit to .30-40 Krag Brass (Read 4846 times)
musketjon
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

.303 Brit to .30-40 Krag Brass
Jan 6th, 2010 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Hi All,
I'm a total newbie here, and to the Krag Rifles. This is my first post here. Just got my first one last month (a '98 rifle) from a good, old friend.  I've heard that 30-40 Krag brass can be made from 303 Brit.  Can any one tell me the process or send me a link?  I've turned 30-06 into 7.7 Jap so I know the basics involved.
Thanks
Jon

IP Logged

fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: .303 Brit to .30-40 Krag Brass
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Simple.  Lube your fired .303 cases and run them through a full-length .30-40 sizing die.  Done.

There are some minor differences between the two cases, but the only ones of real concern is the neck of the .30-40 is longer and the shoulder shape is slightly different than on the .303.  Running it through the die changes the shoulder shape. Can't do anything about the neck length, but it has caused me no problems.  It just allows the bullet more freespace before it enters the rifling.  Also, with the shorter neck you can't pack in quite as much powder, but my loads in this rifle are always on the very mild side anyway.

daveboy

IP Logged

musketjon
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: .303 Brit to .30-40 Krag Brass
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Thanks daveboy.
Jon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo