Krag Identification (Read 3611 times)
GunLover
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Identification
Jan 27th, 2010 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Hi,

I was given a Krag by my Grandfather shortly before he passed away.  I would like to find out as much as I can about the rifle, and a rough idea of how much it is worth.

Here is the information I have:

.30 - 40
Model 1898
Made at the U.S. Springfield Armory
Serial# 143339
Barrel length: 30"
Stock has been cut down

No other identifying marks on barrel or stock

Bluing is pretty much gone, some pitting, stock in good condition.

It was purchased from a WWI vet who ran a hardware store.  Grandpa used it for hunting deer.

I've never fired the rifle, though I'd like to give it a try.

I think it is a cool and unique weapon, and it is a great addition to my gun collection.  Kinda makes me want to collect a few more Krags.   Smiley

I've attached one picture.  Not sure how to attach multiple pictures.

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

tanker
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Identification
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 10:40am
Print Post  
From a quick look at the picture it appears to have a non standard front site and a 1901 rear site. The stock has definitely been shortened and quite a bit of wood removed on the remaining stock. It is shortened behind where the middle barrel band should be, the finger grooves are not present and the cleaning rod hole is exposed or broken through through the wood on the rear of the stock.
This rifle appears to be heavily modified and worth whatever a person is willing to give for an old high power bolt action rifle, little collector value, IMO. There are certainly more qualified people on this site that can give you further information than I. If it can be fired safely, stock not split, bolt and bore in good condition etc. then enjoy it for what it is, a family treasure.

IP Logged

GunLover
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks tanker!

Thanks for your input.  I agree, it is probably more of a family treasure than anything at this point.

It does get me rather interested in collecting more Krags.  Wink

Any other input from folks on this forum is greatly appreciated.

Smiley

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Yep, I agree, you have a cutdown rifle.  Not a collectors item, but a nice little gun and probably a good shooter.  They are wonderful guns.  I have original rifles and carbines, but also quite a collection of sporters too.

I understand you feeling of wanting more Krags (as we all do here).  Every time I get another one, it makes me feel like more!!

Best regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo