Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
RE: Restoration of 1899 Krag Carbine (Read 7176 times)
Nicolas Valcik
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

RE: Restoration of 1899 Krag Carbine
Jul 23rd, 2010 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I just joined the KCA and bought an 1899 Krag Carbine Action. The action is in beautiful shape and I now have a barrel for the action. My question is stocks. I am sure there are some purist out there that would prefer it have an 1899 stock on the gun, but I also have the option of getting a new 1896 reproduction stock. I still need a back sight and from what I can tell a M-1901 Carbine back sight is correct for either an 1896 or 1899 carbine. Is there any difference in hand guards for those two stocks is an 1901 back sight is used? Also does anyone have a 1901 carbine back sight assembly? I also have a barrel band that does not have the protective ears for the back sight so I assume I need the hand guard that would have the hump on it. Thanks ahead of time but this is the first Krag I have ever owned.

IP Logged

Century2
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Re: Restoration of 1899 Krag Carbine
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Nicolas, I am not a ‘carbine’ guy but it would help us if you told us your ultimate goal – do you want a shooter or a wall-hanger? Is the barrel you have new or an original? Why have you decided to start with only an action and not with a more complete specimen that could offer a chance at some parts that at least fit well from the start? I assemble Krags from bunches of parts I have amassed and, at times, I find I have to shift my parts between rifles to get the best fit – stocks included. If you seek a shooter, regardless of the barrel used, a reproduction stock can be custom fitted and even glass-bedded to tighten things up. Beautiful and good shooting rifles I seek to make but I by no means attempt to clone an all-original Krag. I do like my cartouches matching the year of manufacture though! I also prefer a salvaged original ‘junk’ part over a reproduction piece. With a little more information from you, the carbine guys on this forum can probably get you headed in the right direction. Good luck with your project!

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Welcome to Krags. However, things are not exactly as you perceive them. The reason you cannot use 1896-cut wood on an 1899 action has nothing to do with the faintly derogatory use of the word "purist" (a little cheeky for a newbie, I think) but rather the fact that the inletting is different! So, your "option" does not exist.

There are four basic Krag carbine stocks (note lengths):

(1) 1896 (30")
(2) 1898 (30")
(3) 1899 (32") cut for 1896 action - replacements only
(4) 1899 (32")

Your ONLY choice - which I'm sure can ALSO be had in repro, if you wish - is number (4).

As to sights, the 1901C would be the most likely choice for a generic 1899, as they are the one most often found thereon, and are less expensive than the other choices. Each Krag sight has its' own unique matching handguard. The "correct" handguard for your gun would be the one with sight-protector "hump", adopted in 1902. You apparently have the correct band - the one with ears ONLY fits stocks (1) and (2). As to where to find a sight, use the classifieds here, or check out the parts suppliers listed at (You need to Login to view media files and links).

Good luck.

IP Logged

Nicolas Valcik
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses! No insult was intended for the term purist. A purist has different goals than mine which is to put together a gun (or in this case save it) for shooting purposes. I caught flak in the past for restoring a M-1903A4 from being a deer rifle to turning it into a shooter as opposed to a "collector". As for the quesiton on why I started with the action. The action was in great shape and really cheap. I would hate to see it be made into a customized deer rifle. I do have a new repro barrel from the CMP. Thanks for the answer concerning the stock since I was wondering if they were different or not. If anyone knows who makes a repro 1899 stock I would appreciate it since original stocks (at least in my neck of the woods) are impossible to find in a condition I would even consider durable enough on the range. I will check out the company listed for the back sight and keep my eye out on the forum for the part. I had not considered glass bedding but it is an excellent idea that would not detract from how the Krag looked.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
After 40+ years it takes more than that to insult me - but I DID do a double-take!  Hope your project works out well.

IP Logged

Nicolas Valcik
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
After 10 months I finally have the parts to make my 1899 Krag carbine into a shooter. The gun is currently being fitted with a new barrel, but I finally have the elusive back sight (1901) for the carbine. I am using a Boyd stock which has now been stained as well as a repro hand guard. Everything else I have been able to find original parts for and I am hoping that by July I will be able to shoot it. I have also managed to find some ammunition for it which has been somewhat hard to find. If anyone is interested I may have some extra 1901 back parts to sell (rifle) when the project is complete.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo