Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1892 Krag Parts (Read 1648 times)
Aug 8th, 2010 at 11:21am

RMcBride   Offline
KCA Forum Member
Krag Enthusiast!
South Florida

I recently purchased a decent 1892 Krag with an unmolested flat butt stock. The serial number is not quite low enough for the brass tipped cleaning rod, but I would like to obtain the steel tipped rod. Is it unrealistic to expect that there may be rods for sale out there? I am fairly new to Krags, but have Brophy's book and I am learning. Also the no trap butt plate was replaced by a trap type, of which I believe was flattened out to comform to the flat butt. Unfortunately, the butt end was relieved enough to accomodate the trap type mechanism. Once again, do you think it would be possible to locate a no trap buttplate? Thanks for your responses. Rob McBride

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 2:50pm

Dick Hosmer   Offline
KCA Official Member
Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915
Northern California

AFAIK, original cleaning rods have been unobtainable on the spare parts market for several decades. Some "big name" Krag collectors have been forced to make do with repros, for a very long time.

But, you NEVER know what you will dig up. As an example, during a recent 9-month span, I took not one but TWO 26" BoOF rifles off Gunbroker for little more than lunch money (5 cents on the dollar, average). Neither was perfect, but the second one HAS the rare sights, and only needs a $200 forend stretch,. So, good things CAN happen. 

My 1892R, #2546, has the same problem as yours. Nice flat butt, and someone beat out a later plate to fit, but, they also had to scoop out the stock. Flat (thin) buttplates CAN be had. Try the Classifieds here, or the parts guys listed at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 3:58pm

RMcBride   Offline
KCA Forum Member
Krag Enthusiast!
South Florida

Thanks for your reply Dick, I tried Dan Lowery at oldwoodsman@bellsouth.net (sticky note on the classified sec.) but was unable to contact him at the above address. He claims to have quite the inventory. I'll just keep trying the other boards, along with your suggestion, and who knows, might get lucky. Thanks for your help and by the way, if your recording, my 92 is serial 18328. Regards, Rob McBride

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 3:52pm

Tom Butts   Offline
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member
Krag enthusiast!
New York State

I just posted your ad in the classifieds.

Best regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 12:54pm

RMcBride   Offline
KCA Forum Member
Krag Enthusiast!
South Florida

Tom Butts, thanks for placing my ad, but I haven't seen it come up yet. Dick Hosmer, just ordered a 92' flat butt plate and rear sight from S and S Firearms. Thought you might be interested, I'll let you know what condition they are in when I receive them. Anyone selling a good repro. of the ramrod(cleaning rod?) If not, I am going to use the drawings in the back of Brophy's book and have one or more machined, depending on the price. Regards, Rob McBride

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:29pm

Bob Gay   Offline
KCA Forum Member
Krag Enthusiast!

Try Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. They have an extensive inventory, Give them a try

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:35pm

RMcBride   Offline
KCA Forum Member
Krag Enthusiast!
South Florida

Thanks Bob, just talked to them this morn. and ordered a 92' flat no trap butt plate and rear sight. Regards, Rob McBride

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:37pm

Dick Hosmer   Offline
KCA Official Member
Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915
Northern California

I believe there would be a market of sorts for a GOOD repro Krag rod, at a reasonable price. Ignoring the brass-tip version ("correct" on so few rifles still extant as to not be worth the trouble) it should be a fairly simple job. The hardest task will be for the end user to match the correct amount of wear and color for a particular rifle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print