Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Bore condition (Read 1794 times)
cjwils
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Bore condition
Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
The model 1898 that I inherited a few months ago has probably not been shot for decades.  I finally obtained some ammo, and I am hoping to try shooting soon.  In preparation, I decided to give the bore a good cleaning.  The bore is pitted, but other than that I thought it looked ok.  However, after alternating cloth patches with Hoppe's followed by a wire brush followed by more patches, there seems to be no end to the amount of rust that I am getting out of the bore.  Have others experienced this?  If I keep cleaning in this manner, can I eventually get all of the rust out?  Most importantly, is a bore with this much rust safe to shoot?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Bore condition
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
From my experience, a dark pitted bore never comes clean and continues staining patches.  However, I have been amazed that such bores will sometimes shoot well.  It is always good to get an opinion from a veteran shooter or competent gunsmith.  Some old bores have been restored to a degree by lapping with a grooved cast slug on a steel cleaning rod and lapping compound.  A dark bore is never very gratifying when you attempt to clean it after a range session.  Remember to clean all oil and grease from the bore and chamber before firing!

IP Logged

like2shoot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 1:42am
Print Post  
I have actually seen rusty bores improve by shooting.  It blows some of the rust out and they clean up better after being shot.  I agree, some dark bores can shoot fairly well.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Just as a side note, I have seen the larger caliber (.45-70 and .50-70) bores improved by shooting LIGHT loads with SOFT lead bullets, through a barrel which had first been swabbed with a wet paste of household cleanser, such as Bon Ami, Barkeeper's Friend, or Comet.

I would not necessarily suggest that for a .30 caliber, and certainly not with jacketed bullets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo