Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New guy in town (Read 3493 times)
wvsundancer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New guy in town
Feb 23rd, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
I have my father's (which came from my mother's father) 1899 KRAIG. I will try to post up the SN but it is covered by a Layman? sight. I need a bunch of help from anyone who can give me some advice on care and maintence as well as finding some ammo for this firearm. My very first question is how does the bolt come out? My second question is I need a users manual. Glad to be part of the site.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New guy in town
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:26am
Print Post  
I'm not sure which Lyman sight you have.  This may need to be removed or elevated to remove bolt.
Bolt Removal: Open bolt and draw it to the rear. Hold Krag with trigger guard against your belly and magazine door up. Your right fingers should grip the action and your extended right thumb rest on the bolt face. Your left little finger and ring finger should hook over the stock comb with the bolt handle pinched between your left thumb and index finger. Pivot your right thumb away from your body so it engages and lifts the extractor (the hook and long flat spring that rotates on the bolt). At the same time rotate the bolt by pushing the handle away from you with your left thumb. The single locking lug will ride up the incline of the receiver wall and the extractor will swing on its pin, allowing the bolt to be withdrawn rearward from the receiver. Re-install by inserting bolt into the action with the locking lug in the 12 o'clock position. As the lug clears the receiver bridge, rotate the bolt. The lug will ride down the incline and the extractor will rotate and snap into position.
Instructions: Go on eBay and enter 'Krag'. Lots of manuals and instructions are listed. The old NRA disassembly manuals have good instructions for the Krag. You can probably Google search, find, and print. Welcome to the Forum.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 5:01am
Print Post  
Your 1899 Krag started life as a cavalry carbine.  All 1899 Receivers were carbines with 22" barrels.  It would be nice if you can post pictures.  You will get a lot of useful information and identification help that way.  Once you master removing the bolt, give the bore a good cleaning (always from the breech).  Use a quality .30 caliber cleaning rod, good bronze bore brushes, quality patches and bore cleaner (I like Hoppes and Shooters Choice).  Don't mess with the exterior metal and wood finish until you know what you have, what is correct, and how to proceed.  Many fine guns and original finishes have been ruined by misguided efforts.  Of course a Family gun is an heirloom and priceless.  Make sure you look at all the KCA member pages. There is lots of info. on models, sights, and stocks.

IP Logged

wvsundancer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks for getting back to me. I failed to mention that my Kraig has been "restocked" with a true hunting style stock. I will try to post up pictures this weekend. From your description of the bolt removal I now know the sight must be removed. This rifle killed many a deer in my grandfathers hands in PA and MD in the 40's and early 50's.

IP Logged

cjwils
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Check these web sites for bolt removal and disassembly.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I'm guessing your Lyman sight required drilling and mounting on the left side of the receiver, since you mentioned it covers up the serial number.  Holes drilled and tapped into the receiver damage the collector desirability of a Krag.  On the other hand, your Krag is a family heirloom, since your grandfather and father hunted with it, and hopefully you will continue the tradition.  If your Lyman sight is a Model #33 or #34, it has collector value ($100 - $200) depending on condition.  Of course 'Sporterized' Krags range from butt ugly crude to fine workmanship classics.  It would be interesting to see pictures of your Krag.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
wvsundancer,

Just a point of clarification, they are KRAG rifles and carbines

Best regards,
Tom Butts

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo