Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
first post - model 1898 (Read 1631 times)
Jim in Wis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

first post - model 1898
Apr 20th, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Hi - I have a Model 1898 Krag. It has a 22 inch barrel, 1901 rear sight, and the stock is 30 inches long overall, with a sling bracket on the bottom - not on the side. The pictures I see of actual carbines have the front sling bracket held with the long spring holder. Mine doesn't have that, there is just a pin through the stock right ahead of it. I think this means mine is a cut down rifle - is that right? The front sight apears to be the right thing, maybe the barrel is from a carbine?
It's too bad there are so few original Krags around, it seems like they all have been messed with over the years.
I also have a couple of extra Krag parts I could sell I suppose. I have a 1896 rear sight, another stock - the model 96 type with the extra relieving around the bolt handle (also a cut down rifle stock?) and a flat butt plate. I think the butt plate is from a Krag, but I don't know why it's flat instead of curved in at the bottom.
I just found this site, and I'm glad there is one for Krags. They are neat rifles, even if their history in the US army was short.
Jim S.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: first post - model 1898
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the group!

Yes, your M1898 is a cutdown rifle, or at least the stock is. The serial number would tell the whole story, as 1898 carbines - just 5000 were made - fall into a couple of pretty distinct ranges. Anything over 150000 is not correct.

The spare stock you mention, with flat butt-plate could be from an early M1892 rifle - they had flat butts up until around 19000 or so. I own 20197, whose butt is curved.

Original Krags are really not too hard to find. Check out (You need to Login to view media files and links). There are photos on the home page of this website, and also some on mine.

IP Logged

Jim in Wis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: first post - model 1898
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Hi - mine is serial number 327349 (why do people hesitate to list the serial numbers of their guns - what harm could come?).
The extra stock I have doesn't have the flat butt plate, it is curved. The flat one is just another part I must have gotten somewhere.
Sort of an interesting story - the extra stock I have is from a rifle I got when I was young, somewhere around 1962 I think. My mom took me to an old guy's house that she knew.  I liked guns and she had told him about me I suppose. He was real old then, maybe late 80's or 90 I think. He sold (maybe gave, I don't remember) me a Krag and showed me a picture of himself when he was young. He was in his Cavalry uniform and holding a Krag rifle! I remember when he showed me how it worked, suddenly he didn't seem so old - he snapped the bolt open and flipped the magazine lid like he knew what he was doing for sure!
I stupidly sportorized it with a Herter's stock (which is why I still have the extra stock and rear sight). Years later I traded it to a guy for a Rem. XP-100. The guy I traded it to took it deer hunting, stuck the barrel in the snow and fired it. It blew up, didn't hurt anyone, but the barrel split. I remember I shortened the barrel and turned down the  diameter in my dad's lathe. Maybe that's why it split - yikes!
Now that I think about it, I also remember that I moved the tailstock off center to turn a taper on the barrel. My Dad didn't really like that too much. I had to make darn sure I got it back where it belonged.  - What we all learn messing with guns!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo