Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Norwegian Krag (Read 9541 times)
Haakon
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Norwegian Krag
Jun 29th, 2011 at 4:58am
Print Post  
I thought I would share a Krag rifle that I imported from Norway a few years ago.  My father shot it in Norwegian high power competitions during the 1950's.  It was made in 1917 ( 116284) and looks to have been converted to a competition model.  I have shot it a number of times; handloading the 6.5 rounds and it seems to be very accurate with the peep sights.  My father has passed away but I would be interested if any information of this rifles origin that can be derived from it's serial number.  My father lived in a very remote section of Norway during the war and did not mention any direct contact with the Germans. 

Thanks,

Haakon

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: Norwegian Krag
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Very nice rifle with lots of family history......priceless!!!

IP Logged

mussonor
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Hi.

A common setup of the krag for target shooting in DFS. M30 stock, heavy 21mm barrel and the Schou diopter. Trigger also M30, or perhaps an adjustable S&L?
By seriail, the receiver show it was stationed for the IR2 (Oslo) in 1940. Later been choosen to be proffesonally modified to a M30 style target/competition rifle. As you mention, it will shoot weel. At 300m the best guys managed to get 10 round groops at approx 100-120 mm in the 80-ies before the Sauer 200STR took over.

IP Logged

Haakon
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies Ned and Mussoner.  You guys do know your Krags.  Yes the sight says that it was patented by Asbjorn Schou.  I don't see any adjustments on the trigger but it has a good two stage pull.  I am not sure how well this rifle would do in a NRA Highpower event but I am curious to see now just for fun. I shoot an M1A and just loaded up some rounds for the Krag to test it at extended ranges.  The sight looks like it is easily adjustable for ranges up to 800 meters. Do you have some type of data base which tells you where the Norwegian Krags were deployed during the war?  Just curious as to how you found that information?  Thanks again.

Haakon

IP Logged

mussonor
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 5:00am
Print Post  
Hi.
Highpower some uncommon shooting for me, but found this as the program?:
1. Slow Fire, standing - 10 rounds at 200 yards in 10 minutes.
2. Rapid Fire, sitting or kneeling - 10 rounds at 200 yards in 60 seconds.
3. Rapid Fire, 10 rounds prone - 300 yards in 70 seconds.
4. Slow Fire, 10 rounds prone - 500 or 600 yards in 10 minutes.

10 rounds in 60 sec is a bit tough without a speedloader, but is you line up 4 rounds and shot 6+4 with maual 4-last roaund load you probebly manage. I've newer shot with a krag at 500meter,  but putting a groud of lets say round 10"-12" and less is possible with a krag. Do not know how you manage with a M1A with openr sights at 500.
The data of were stationed in 1940 is found in a book telling the history of the krag.
Loading the krag, we do not load harder then 770m/s for 9-9.3 grams bullet.
If the barrel and the bedding is good in your krag (Barrel should not touch wood in the barrel channels), the krag should do at least as good as the M1A.

Rapid shooting with boltrifle in Norway is commonly done in what calleg Stang-shooting. One of the best in this video: (You need to Login to view media files and links)
When we had the krag, the speed were the same as in this video.
Here two norwegian guys shooting their original krag, showing a speedloader in the begining of video: (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Haakon
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Hi Mussoner,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes you found the standard NRA highpower program.  I am shooting the same program but at 200 yards with reduced sized targets.  That speedloader seems like quite a good tool for rapid loading.  I have never heard of one before and I am sure they are quite rare.  Maybe it might not be too difficult to make something that functions in a similar fashion.  I also liked the link with the quick shooter. It must take quite a bit of practice to shoot a bolt action rifle that quickly but with a smooth operating Krag I would think the rifle should be up to it. The vast majority of the shooters here now use the AR15 typle rifles for this type of competion but the M1A probably is the second most used rifle.  The sights are pretty good on the M1A and the 7.62 round certainly has enough power to shoot at longer ranges.

My loads for the 6.5 x 55mm consists of 44gn of IMR 4831 and a Sierra 120 grain matchking bullet.  I worked up to this load and it seems to shoot fine.  I will let you know how it shoots.  Thanks again,

Haakon

IP Logged

Haakon
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I went out to the range today with my reloads to compare the Krag's accuracy against my M1A.  This target is the Krag 6.5 x 55mm 10 shot group at 100 yards.  The group measured 2.5 inches and would have measured 1.5 inches without the flyer.  Not sure if the Krag likes heavier bullets than the 120 grain Sierra match kings that I was using?

IP Logged

Haakon
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
This 10 shot group is with my standard M1A at 100 yards.  The group is 3 " and is pretty typical with the iron sights at that distance.  The Krag seems to be more accurate.

IP Logged

mussonor
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Krag the best, as expected Wink

Common used is Sierra 144gr bullet at Vo770m/s. Also for youngsters, reduced load with 100gr bullet at 800m/s.

I think, that if allowed, you will rank high useing the krag in a competition against the AR15 etc. In competitions were speed shooting is a part of the program and we shoot against AG3, those useing bolt rifles have 15 sec longer time.

IP Logged

Haakon
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Hi Mussonor,

Thanks for the e-mail.  I tested some 140gr Sierra bullets and the combination I used with 41 grn of IMR 4831 was not quite as accurate as the 120 grn combination that I was using.  I have attached a 1.25" five shot group at 100 yards with the 120 grn combo.  I know if I shifted some of the variables with the 140 grn load that it most likely would make a difference but for now I think I will stick to the 120's.  I checked with the NRA highpower event leaders and they will allow me to use the Krag in a competition however I will not get any extra time since it is a bolt action.  I have the rifle zeroed in at 200 yards and will let you know how it does compared to the M1A.

Thanks again,

Haakon

IP Logged

mussonor
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Seems like you found a good load there. So now it's all up to the shooter! Good luck.

IP Logged

Haakon
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I shot the Krag today in a NRA Highpower match and while I had quite a bit of fun shooting the old Krag I didn't do as well as I hoped.  The rapid fire for sitting and prone were the trouble sessions as I wasn't able to get off 4 shots.  You need to load twice during the 60 and 70 second periods in addition to shooting your 10 shots.  Now if I had a speedloader that might make it a different story.  More practice would also help as well. I certainly got a lot of attention shooting the Krag as they are very uncommon in these matches.  All in all a good time.

Haakon

IP Logged

mussonor
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2011 at 8:20am
Print Post  
A good start.
For the reload, a speedloader would indeed help. Just asking, did you load 6 + 4, one i chamber + 5 in magazine + 4 realod?
Pratice will help, as common here to manage 11-12 rounds in 25 sek with a bolt rifle and magazine change. In theory, you then got 35 seconds for reloading Wink. Keep up the good work!

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #13 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 1:07am
Print Post  
A workable charger for the Krag is a fairly easy project using just basic hand tools. One simple design is shown below -

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Haakon
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Hi Mussonor,

I loaded 5 shot 5 then reloaded 5 again to shoot the remaining 5 shots.  I wasn't really prepared as I thought I could load first before the time clock started.  Unfortunately once the clock started I loaded the rounds by hand and had a small plastic tray with 5 rounds in it to help with the reload.  I just need to practice more.

Parashooter I really like your speed loader set up.  I don't think I have all the tools to fashion that speadloader out of sheet metal but you are certainly giving me some ideas.  What tools did you use?

Thanks,

Haakon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo