Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Serial Number Locations (Read 1933 times)
1911fan
Ex Member

Serial Number Locations
Oct 7th, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
I have looked and searched and can find nowhere that the location of additional serial numbers was discussed.

I know from my Mauser that the Germans were positively anal about numbering everything within reach but in the pictures of Krags, I see only one number--on the port side of the receiver.

I have the opportunity to jump on a gently Bubbafied M-1898 for a mere song.  Trouble is we've already gone through the gun budget this year.  A fellow on another site figured the gun was worth about the same as I did (considerably more than the asking price) but if all the numbers matched, even in that condition (forend chiseled somewhat, original sight changed for buckhorn, top wood missing, but smooth action and crisp bore), the value could skyrocket.

If there are more numbers to match, I can show them to the wife and convince her of the increased value.  This could free up the funds and get me my first Krag!

Another question:  Boyd's sells K-J stocks.  If I were to replace the existing stock--I can't find any cartouches or other acceptance marks on it--how would this effect the value?

Thanks,

ed 

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Serial Number Locations
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
US Krags are not serialled anywhere but on the receiver. However, some of the mods noted are scary. What do you mean by "changed" to a buckhorn sight? (I know what it is, the question is has the barrel been dovetailed to receive same?).

A Boyd's stock will seriously downgrade the value of the rifle. Far more acceptable - and much cheaper - is the replacement of only the forend, concealing the joint under the band. While not as desirable as a proper military stock, it does preserve what is left, and changes the end result more towards a "repair" vs. a "fake".

Not sure of your ultimate goal, but - depending on what has been done to the barrel - you might want to look further. If I knew the price of what you are buying, I could make a better assessment. You're already looking at a few bucks in missing parts (sight, handguard, upper band assembly) too.

IP Logged

1911fan
Ex Member

Re: Serial Number Locations
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2011 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Thanks for the prompt answer.

For the record, the guy wanted $300 out the door.

I was basing my ability to buy on an Omega Constellation Chronometer Quartz I more or less inherited and was looking to sell.  Ater a visit to my favorite pawnbroker and a chat with his hard-nosed watch guy, it would cost more to fix the watch than he could pay me for it.

Therefore, having spent the gun budget on a S&W M-10HB we bought for my wife, no Krag in my future.

Thanks again,

ed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo