Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Front Sight Blade (Read 6313 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Front Sight Blade
Nov 19th, 2011 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I finally have remove the filed off screws in my sporter barrel and installed a 1902 rear sight, compliments of WJU.  All I need now is a front sight blade and pin.  Does anyone have an extra sight blade and pin? I would happily pay for the parts and shipping costs.  Thanks all!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Front Sight Blade
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Paul:  The slot in your front sight base looks wide to me.  The thickness of a Krag front sight blade is .050 inches.  Measure the slot of your base before investing in a replacement blade.  Reproduction blades and pins are available from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. (Their catalog can be viewed on-line).  Original blades and pins occasionally show up on e-Bay and GunBroker (search - Krag).  How were you able to salvage your rear sight mounting holes?  Are you related to Ron Steinmayer of Bloomfield Hills, Mi.?  Chuck

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
OMG How do you know Ron??? That is my father!!!  A truly great man, he turns 79 years young in December.  Dad is responsible for getting me started in my love for the 30-40 Krag.  When I started shooting in the early 1980s (right after I enlisted in the US Navy), he educated me on the Krag and the Trapdoors.  When I saw an 1898 Krag sporter in a Mississippi pawn shop, I knew exactly what it was, so I bought it.  He then gave me his 1898 rifle in 1994.  I obtained his Garand this year, and I'm supposed to inherit his 1873 Trapdoor rifle and 1873 Trapdoor Carbine (both currently hang over his fireplace).  I live in Ypsilanti, Michigan. 

My front sight blade slot measures 0.050 using my vernier calipers.  Maybe it looks wide because of the angle and closeness of the picture.  I can always shim the blade if necessary.  I removed the screws from the sight holes by drilling and then using a screw extractor.  I also applied a little heat and used WD-40.  The filed off screws came right out!  The idea came from you, by the way!

Paul

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 4:13am
Print Post  
Paul:  We have been crossing trails without knowing it.  My wife is a long time friend of Joanne's through the Pontiac Zonta Club.  I will try getting your address through a PM.  I will send you a replica blade but it will be too thin (.045").  You can set it in place with some black adhesive or JB Weld and make your own pin by turning down a section of nail.  This will let you play at the Range until you find a better solution.  Chuck McArthur

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Wow, talk about a small world!  Joanne is a wonderful lady and dad has really come alive since she entered his life!  I will be sure to mention you the next time we talk.  I take it that you are near Pontiac then?  If you have been to Dad and Joanne's, then you have seen the Trapdoors that I hope to inherit too.  I would be honored to shoot Krags with you some day!

As for the sight blade, I will send you my address (to the email address you sent to me).  Please let me know if I'll owe you anything for the blade or for shipping!  I am eternally grateful, as I have been trying to return this sporter to a shootable condition for more than a decade.  Having a proper rear sight and blade will certainly get me there.  Smiley 

Many thanks to you sir!

IP Logged

WJU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Glad the 1902 rear sight worked for you Smiley I have your old Redfield dialed in. Went Bear hunting but did not get a shot....although we did have a nice one running and two guys in our party missed. I saw the bear but passed on a 200 yard shot. I have not shot my krag over 100 yards. So that was WAY beyond my comfort zone.

Good luck getting the rest of your rifle together!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Thanks so much Bill.  The rear sight fit perfectly!  Glad that my Redfield sight helped you too!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo