Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Whole Different Story (Read 4054 times)
mjanway
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Whole Different Story
Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Since I have acquired my own Krag reference material and do not have to share it with the rest of Shawnee County, I have been studying and researching my Dad's deer rifle that I inherited. 

As a shock, I found that I have been reading the serial number wrong.  I thought it was 183578 but is actually 133578.  Could someone please look that up for me as that may answer some questions that I've had about the barrel and stock for quite some time. 

Thanks

Jack

IP Logged

mjanway
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Whole Different Story
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Darn scopes,

Have to change that serial number to 13?578 with the ? being a 2 or 3.  Can't be definitive with that screw hole for the scope taking out the bottom half of it.  Will never be sure.  After research, found out

It has a 1899 carbine stock with a 1899 carbine type 3 lower band and type 2 butt plate.

The barrel is 22 inches long.  It has a nice crown and the front sight post is nicely milled in.  If it was cut, they certainly did a fine job.

So wild guess that a. it's a 1898 carbine receiver and barrel in a 1899 carbine stock or b. it's a 1898 rifle receiver with a carbine barrel in a 1899 carbine stock or c. its a 1898 rifle receiver with a cut down rifle barrel in a 1899 carbine stock.  Will never know.

I put the 1901 handguard and 1901 rear sight on.  Been all through the old homestead looking for what use to be on there with no luck.  Been too long. I do need to replace that front sight blade.

Sure learned some stuff about Krags.  Some pictures follow if I got the sizing figured out.

Jack

IP Logged

mjanway
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Other side

IP Logged

mjanway
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Band and spring

IP Logged

mjanway
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Business end

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Nice looking Krag! 

Looks to me like someone has sanded the stock to sharpen the cut where the rear stock section transitions to the hand grip area.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 4:38am
Print Post  
mjanway:  Those 4 screw holes look like they are for a Weaver #2 side-mount base.  Last year I bought an 1898 Krag Carbine that had been ruined by  tapped holes in the receiver and a dovetail across the barrel.  I bought it to get its 1899 Carbine stock for an 1899 Carbine I restored.  I decided to keep the '98 Carbine as a shooter because its bore was mint.  I finally got around to trying a scope on it

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Weaver mount detached

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Scope and mount in place.  ( I know those holes are ticking you off.  But, you can use them until you fill them).  Oh, the scope prevents using an unaltered safety and the mount needs to be taken off its base to remove the bolt.

IP Logged

mjanway
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 11:17am
Print Post  
psteinmayer: Thanks, hmmm. Beings I didn't know what it was until this week, will have to look at more of them. I was mainly concerned with measurements and dimensions and how the air channels looked.  It did clean up well.  What ever Dad had on there came off fairly easy and it sure liked the linseed oil.

butlersrangers:  Yep, that's it! Darn thing!  Still got the scope, not sure about the mount.  Will have to see if I still got it or put it in scrap in case you need some spare parts.  I sure don't want it.  Don't need weapons for deer hunting here, they come find you while you are driving.

Jack

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo