Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Springfield 1898 Krag 30-40 Unissued?????? Value.. (Read 8705 times)
Mitch
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Springfield 1898 Krag 30-40 Unissued?????? Value..
Jan 31st, 2012 at 3:10am
Print Post  
After close examination between two collectors, this Krag has been determined to be possibly unissued. The gun is correct. I have done extensive research on this gun and find it to be possibly unissued. Cartouche marked 1901 is good. Cleaning rods and oiler still in butt plate. Bluing is exceptional as is the wood. Firing proof mark is where it needs to be. Bluing is a mottled grey with a blue background. This rifle is dead drop georgeous. When I bought it, I was going to shoot it and actually bought ammo for it. But then I decided to save it as a safe queen because it was in such great shape I didn't want to deter the value from firing it. Couple of dings here and there.  Just wanted to know what this would be valued at in today's market. I'm new to this forum so bear with me. Sorry, no pics just go by my description as I'm sure everyone knows this rifle. Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

5MadFarmers
Ex Member

Re: Springfield 1898 Krag 30-40 Unissued?????? Value..
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Mitch wrote on Jan 31st, 2012 at 3:10am:
has been determined to be possibly unissued

is at odds with:

Quote:
Cleaning rods and oiler still in butt plate.

Quote:
Sorry, no pics just go by my description

No thanks.  If I don't see details it's not possible to come to any determination of anything outside of: you're happy with it. 

Might be a very nice rifle.  Impossible to tell.

IP Logged

Mitch
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
I was able to get some pics this morning. Hopefully these will help to determine the value of this Krag. Thanks again for everyone's help.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mitch
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
more pics.......

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
That's a very nice Krag, but believe I'd stop somewhat short of "unissued". Probably worth somewhere in the $1000-$2000 range to the right buyer. No "rare" features to bump it up, and - usually - the handguard color match of original assemblies is somewhat closer; probably an outgrowth of the sight replacement. I'm pretty sure that it was originally equipped with a Model 1901 rear sight.

IP Logged

Mitch
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the response. Is the rear sight that is on it not correct from when it was made originally???

IP Logged

5MadFarmers
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
1901 cartouche, yet 1902 rear sight, indicates a rear sight upgrade.  Not unusual.  Hand guard, as Dick mentioned, doesn't match stock.  The 1902 rear sight uses a different hand guard than the 1901 sights so when sights were swapped the hand guards were also.

Nice rifle.  Not unissued and not "as made" but nice nonetheless.

IP Logged

Mitch
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
It is a nice rifle. Well guess it's not what I thought it was. Now I have a good reason to take it to the range and finally shoot it. It's only been  sitting in my safe for almost 8 years since I bought it. Have some ammo that I bought at the gun show to use. What I have are reloads. Any issues with using reloads or what would be recommended regarding some other ammo?

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:23am
Print Post  
I must point out that you have no idea what is in those gunshow reloads, even if the cartridge boxes are labeled.   You do not know what type of powder is loaded in those cases.  You do not know what the range of charge weights and you do not know anything about the quality of the used cartridge cases into which those other unknowns are assembled.  Around here, the guys who peddle reloads are known to polish up, resize & reload cartridge cases that should be scrapped.

Excessively hot loads are known to crack Krag bolts.  You have a very nice rifle, presently probably at the high end of what an issue Krag is worth.  What would it be worth if it had a cracked bolt?

If that was my rifle, I would definitely shoot it.  But I would assemble the ammo from known components, using new empty cases and loaded with a well-recognized mild load.  Given the QA/QC problems associated with US-made name-brand rimfire ammo, I don't think I would even shoot relatively new factory Remington or Winchester stuff in the rifle.  Too much risk and only marginal savings.  If you load it yourself, you will know that it has been done correctly.

IP Logged

5MadFarmers
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 2:36am
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:23am:
But I would assemble the ammo from known components, using new empty cases and loaded with a well-recognized mild load.  Given the QA/QC problems associated with US-made name-brand rimfire ammo, I don't think I would even shoot relatively new factory Remington or Winchester stuff in the rifle.  Too much risk and only marginal savings.  If you load it yourself, you will know that it has been done correctly.

You understand there is much nonsense in claiming that "QA/QC" issues exist with "Remington or Winchester stuff" when nobody has the ability to make cartridge cases outside of companies like them?  Ergo you'll be using their cases....

I'd shoot factory Remington or Winchester ammunition before I'd shoot ammo reloaded by anyone.  Especially myself.  Their "QA/QC" is tested billions of times per year.  Does anyone who reloads have that track record?  "No."

I'll go you one better.  I have a Krag rifle worth considerably more than that one.  In respect to wishes from the gentleman I acquired it from I'll be shooting it this summer.  What ammunition am I going to use?  Factory Remington.

I understand the reluctance to shoot reloads not loaded by one's self.  In casting aspersions on the major US cartridge companies I think you do stretch it further than is warranted.

I'll back that up further.  I'll also shoot the Remington Model 8 I have this summer.  Using reloads.  Not reloaded by me.  I do know, and trust, the gentleman I acquired them from.

What I won't do is shoot reloads from people I don't know.

IP Logged

tanker
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:38am
Print Post  
5mad good post and sound reasoning, IMO. I have fired a couple hundred Remington and 100 Winchester factory 180gr loads no problem and would do it again if necessary. I shoot my own reloads primarily for the enhanced accuracy, ability to reduce pressure and cost. I will echo the fact that I would never shoot someone else's reloads unless their process was know to me.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2012 at 9:31pm by tanker »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo