Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Help replacing rear sight (Read 2421 times)
Redcoat3340
KCA Forum Member

New Krag Enthusiast!

Help replacing rear sight
Jan 31st, 2012 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
I'm on the lookout for a Redfield or Pacific no-tap rear sight.  My Krag has already been "sporterized," but I'd prefer not to tap the receiver.
Perhaps a couple of questions:
1.  What's a fair price for the Redfield (70 KH or 70KT or 102K) or Pacific sight?  There was one on eBay that went for $76.00.  I stopped bidding around $70 as I wasn't sure of the going rate, and didn't want to get involved in a bidding war. (There was also one for $100, but the seller had a Paris, France address and I don't like doing international transactions.)

I've got WTB's posted here, on Gunboards and Surplus Rifles, plus I look daily on eBay, Gunbroker and GunAuction.  Any other places I can look?

2.  If I can't find a no-tap in the next month or so, what are my other options?  Anyone have a recommendation for a tapped rear sight....and how best to give my gunsmith directions as to how/where to drill the holes (I really don't want to do that!). 

3.  About the front sight: That needs to be replaced as a. it's a crappy one now, b. A new rear sight will mean a new front sight.  Suggestions? 

Any other advice folks have is appreciated.

Redcoat3340

"Where a goat can go, a man can go; and where a man can go, he can drag a gun."

British Maj. Gen. William Phillips, after placing cannon atop Mt. Defiance in 1777 thereby conquering Ft. Ticonderoga

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Help replacing rear sight
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Redcoat:  What kind of front sight does your Krag have?  We never saw a successful picture of your rifle except the 1st one that shows the rear sight 'amidships'.  Take time on the 'no-drill' peep sight.  Redfields and Pacifics show up often on ebay and GunBroker $75-$100 (search - Krag).

IP Logged

Redcoat3340
KCA Forum Member

New Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Here's the front sight.  It wiggles.  Sorry for the blurry picture, but it's the sight wiggling.  (I'll take an infocus one later and post it.)  There was a dovetail cut into the barrel to accomodate this.  I'll either just ignore it and put a sight with a "band" around the whole muzzel, or use the dovetail, depending on my gunsmith.

British Maj. Gen. William Phillips, after placing cannon atop Mt. Defiance in 1777 thereby conquering Ft. Ticonderoga

IP Logged

Redcoat3340
KCA Forum Member

New Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:45am
Print Post  
That's an awful pic...I'll replace asap.

IP Logged

Redcoat3340
KCA Forum Member

New Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Here's a better picture of the front sight.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 3:14am
Print Post  
That's an awful sight, but I would just utilize the dovetail with a new sight or maybe just a new blade in the present base.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo