Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Reproduction carbine stocks (Read 8411 times)
fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reproduction carbine stocks
Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know a source for new, carbine stocks besides Boyds?  I've purchased a carbine and the metal is in pretty good shape, but the wood is beyond hope.  I could buy an original online, but that is such a crap shoot.

Appreciate any help.

fred

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Reproduction carbine stocks
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 5:48am
Print Post  
If you find something...  I would be interested also.  I want to put a carbine stock on my cutdown sporter too.

IP Logged

RJH
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I have not used either of these , but they list krag stocks.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Bob

IP Logged

JOEZ
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Neither Macon or Dunlap make a drop-in stock. Macon stocks require some fitting in the action area and the muzzle end is cut off square so it must be rounded and sanded . They make this to fit a '98 so if you have an earlier one you must do considerable fitting around the bolt handle. Dunlap makes theirs with a big square chunk of unfinished wood just forward of the action. you can find pictures of these at Picaso/Dunlapwoodcraft gallery. I'm always on the lookout for someone who makes a ready to use stock but have not found one yet. Good luck.  JOEZ

IP Logged

tanker
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
I have an extra '96 carbine stock that it is semi-inletted. It came from American stocks about 15 yrs ago. Have used a couple of them and they work up nicely, provided final fit and finish is within ones ability. Nice walnut, in character with Krag production wood. Only draw back I've noticed is that the carbine stock is inletted for a Krag rear swivel but no inletting for saddle ring? PM me if interested, guaranteed good deal for members.

IP Logged

geezmo
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Try Michael Kokolus from Dushore, Pa.  at gunstockduplicating.com , He usually sets up at the Allentown, Pa. shows. Many different stocks, I've seen him with Krags. Didn't look like they required too much work.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I recently found out that Mike developed cancer and recently passed away. His business has been bought and I spoke with the new owner briefly at the March Harrisburg show. I believe that the new owner is a past employee of Mike's and the work appears to be of the same excellent quality. They are in transition and I an not sure if the contact info remains the same. I picked up a business card but don't have it with me at this time.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2012 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Found it
Custom Rifle Stocks     (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2012 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
For the benefit of anyone following this post:

I am the original poster.

I broke down and purchased a Boyd's stock.  I have had great results from Boyd's before but had heard bad things about their Krag stocks.  The first stock I received looked like it had been cut-out with a hatchet.  I took photos and contacted their customer service.  Was finally told to ship it back at my expense which I did.  After they looked at it, they agreed.  Was then told that a new stock was on the way...again at my expense.  I waited three weeks for new stock, but oops! we forgot to ship.  Finally got the new stock and it is not too bad, but definitly needs more work than any other stock I have purchased.  Paid $15 for initial shipping, $15 to return, and $20 to ship the new stock (seems they raised their price).  I complained about all the shipping to customer service, but got no reply.  Would not recommend Boyd's Krag stocks.

fred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo