Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
A Krag Gallery Practice Rifle (Read 2101 times)
waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A Krag Gallery Practice Rifle
Mar 9th, 2012 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Here (hopefully) are photos of a GPR that I have been shooting.  It seems to be one of the first made, because the barrel has .226" groove diameter.  It seems to be chambered for 22 Extra Long.  It has a Pacific receiver sight and a 1903 Springfield front sight.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: A Krag Gallery Practice Rifle
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
This is my first attempt ever to post photos, so please bear with me.  The Krag was a single shot, of course, but the remodel included the complete removal of the magazine.  The outside piece of the former rifle stock was filled with a relatively thin piece of wood.  The lightening groove in the rifle stock was also filled. 

Because this has one of the first barrels (.226" groove), could this be one of the first rifles supplied as a barreled action only?

Trigger pull was horrible! I substituted a 1/4" coil spring from the hardware store (65 cent purchase) thanks to advice received here.  Trigger pull is now about 4 lbs, creepy but quite manageable. 

The receiver sight was removed for these photos because I tried to show the trip pin set into the left side of the receiver wall.  That operates the extractor but takes all of the slick & smooth characteristics out of the Krag's action.  The trip pin also digs into the back of my thumb when I try to remove the bolt in the normal fashion.  Instead, I use a cut-off toothbrush handle.

IP Logged

etexastea
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Sure is pretty.  Where did you get the stock from? It looks specific for the job.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 7:09am
Print Post  
It is an ordinary rifle stock, just completely refinished & remodeled.  There is a faint inspector's mark if you look in the right place (not visible in the photo). 

The fired cases drop into the empty magazine well.  To remove them, you open the bolt, turn the rifle upside down and shake it like an old-fashioned piggy bank.

IP Logged

Kirk
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Would you please post pictures of the receiver  with the stock removed that show how the receiver was ground down & recontoured?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo