Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krags in service (Read 5447 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krags in service
Mar 16th, 2012 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Here is a photo I took of my 1898 lithograph, (copy of a painting by A.C. Redwood), titled:  "U.S. Regulars Leaving For The Front".  I like those Spanish War uniforms and Krags.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krags in service
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Members of Detroit Light Guard (31st Michigan Vol. Inf.) formed up on a Detroit Avenue for transport to Camp Eaton at Island Lake, (near Brighton, Michigan), for training and preparation for war.  They are armed with .45-70 cal.  "trap-door" Springfields.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Corp. Fred Lynd, Co.L, 31st Mich. Vol. Infantry at Camp Poland, Knoxville, Tenn., in 1899.  The 31st did not accompany the 33rd and 34th Mich. Vol. Inf. with the forces invading Cuba.  Unlike their Sister Regiments, the 31st Michigan had Krags when the Regiment went to Cuba for Peace-keeping purposes in 1899.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Upon return to the U.S., the Detroit Light Guard (31st Mich. Vol. Inf.) was quarantined on Daufuskie Island, S.C., before returning to Michigan.  The Michiganders were treated hospitably in the South.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 1:11am
Print Post  
1899 Daufuskie Island, S.C., the 31st Mich. Vol. Inf. (DLG).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 2:03am
Print Post  
You come up with some great old pictures, Chuck!!!

IP Logged

Plain Old Dave
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 2:59am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 16th, 2012 at 12:56am:
Corp. Fred Lynd, Co.L, 31st Mich. Vol. Infantry at Camp Poland, Knoxville, Tenn., in 1899.  The 31st did not accompany the 33rd and 34th Mich. Vol. Inf. with the forces invading Cuba.  Unlike their Sister Regiments, the 31st Michigan had Krags when the Regiment went to Cuba for Peace-keeping purposes in 1899.

This is the single best Krag pic I have *ever* seen, bar none. See, I grew up in Knoxville and this is the *only* pic I have ever seen taken at Camp Poland. If there are any UT alumni on the Forum, the Married Student Housing down where Cumberland Ave. becomes Kingston Pike overlooks the Southwest corner of Camp Poland (there was another camp over around Chilhowee Park AKA the Knoxville Zoo and TVA&I Fairgrounds, but that will hold for another day). It was around the Coster Shops (the railyard I-275 goes over) extending into Lincoln Park and down toward what is now Tyson Park. OT, but Gold Star for anybody that can place the pop culture reference concerning Cumberland Avenue and Kingston Pike.

Chattanooga Strong.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 6:15am
Print Post  
The CB&Q boxcar in the upper lithograph was owned by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy RR, locally called the "Creak, Bump & Quiver".  Makes me wonder about the railyard location.

IP Logged

Bob_S
KCA Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
The XM in the background appears to be Santa Fe, so it's pretty hard to draw any conclusions regarding location from the reporting marks of a random box car: they tend to roam far from home.   Note also the link/pin draft gear on the CB&Q. 

Really great pix of troops and Krags......

Resp'y,
Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 1:24am
Print Post  
I would hazard a guess that the troops lined up on a Detroit Avenue are lined up on Woodward Avenue!  The buildings look like those that would have lined Woodward back then, and the double streetcar tracks would be correct also.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo