Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag Success at the Range! (Read 2275 times)
Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Success at the Range!
Jul 16th, 2012 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Took a break from shooting my 1899 Krag Carbine a few months back after some mild frustration with the lack of accuracy; I couldn't hit sh*t at 100yds. In the meantime I bought a spotting scope, proper benchrest equipment and adjusted the load I was using in my Krag.

I'm now working with commercially cast 205gr gas checked lead bullets sized to .314 (Lyman 314299), pushed by 29gr of IMR 4895, Rem 9 1/2 Primer and seated to 3.1". This is .003 over the bore of my Krag. The rests provide a sturdier platform, and the spotting scope is allowing me to make small adjustments without having to walk down range.

I'm amazed at the improvement. 20rds fired. First three shots were great (see 3rd picture - difficult to make them out but it was taken with a cellphone through a spotting scope). First ten shots were part of that nice lower-center grouping, the next ten were pretty much all over the place with the 19th being that bullseye and the 20th being the one half on the paper at the far right edge. Go figure.

Overall I am happy to say that this old Krag with a half-*ss bore and iron sights is still fairly capable. I am hoping to tighten up those shots some more too.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rjc324
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Success at the Range!
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Nice. Keep us updated and thanks for the info.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Not too shabby at all Marcus!!! 

I'll be shooting in the National Vintage Rifle match at Camp Perry next month...  Can't wait to see if I can improve on my last round at 200 yards.

Paul

IP Logged

Marcus99
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Thanks guys. Today was a little better with the group tightening up somewhat; all 20rds on the paper but still a few not in the blue. It was hot, humid and the bugs were coming out so I kinda rushed. Nevertheless I really think you need to spend a lot of time shooting these Krags to get good groupings (under 4"). Unfortunately I ran out of IMR 4895, so I cleaned the Krag and put it away until next time. Here's how it went; you should be able to make out the target in the foreground in the first picture which is almost exactly 100yds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo