Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1894bolt (Read 5385 times)
King
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1894bolt
Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Hello  1st post. Will a 1894bolt fit a 1896. I know nothing about krags I'm told I have carbines.   It seems to fit and looks fine   Looking to sell the 1894.  Ser is 9735 Has no stock. My 96 ser is80563. Any help would be great.  I'm on my iPad and it won't let me add any pics  sorry

J
In Maine [/b][/b]

Do the right thing even when no one is watching

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: 1894bolt
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:21am
Print Post  
All US Krag bolts are interchangeable, especially going backwards - in other words, the latest bolt would fit the earliest rifle.

The handle has a slightly different profile along the bottom edge, at the root, whereby an early bolt might only close 98/99% of the way in a late (over 109000, or Model 1898) receiver, but, given the serials mentioned, you would have no issues whatsoever.

There are no Model 1894 carbines, so your 9735 is some sort of cut-off. The 1896 could possibly be an original carbine.

IP Logged

King
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Here are some pics.  so you think it was cut down huh.  its the same size as my 96.  Do you know of anyone that would want to buy the 94.  i was going to break it down and sell it on the bay but I don't really want to.  I'm on the fence if i could find a stock i might keep it.  the ser number seems low thought that was a good think. thanks for getting back to me.  great site.  any idea on value of the 94 as it sits

J  in Maine

(You need to Login to view media files and links) ( 720 KB | 1 Download )

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:50am
Print Post  
J,

It's definitely a cutdown.  The front sight is not an original Krag sight.  The picture was a little distorted when I opened it, but it may be a 1903 banded front sight, which is typical of a cut job.  It still should be a good shooter if you put a stock on it!  There are stocks out there... 

Paul

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:30am
Print Post  
I believe the "front sight" is actually a (seldom encountered) Krag carbine snap-on sight cover, which is made of spring steel, as opposed to the more common brass style of cover, for rifles.

IP Logged

King
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
here is a pic of the site it doesn't look like its cut its nicely rounded, but what do i know.  i saw where another member said they made 94 carbines briefly could this been one?

IP Logged

King
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
this was the post i found

Started by Gibbs | Post by Dick Hosmer       

Just wanted to warn you that any "1894" marked Krag with a barrel less than 30" is definitely (99.99%) a bubba. For the record, both of the genuine M1892 Carbines had full-length stocks, and several other unique parts as well.

The only possible exception would be one of the 'sight-test guns', from the 11xxx range. The configuration of them is - AFAIK - unknown, but presumed to be similar to an 1896 carbine. The serial numbers are known, but - again AFAIK - none of them have ever shown up. IF they exist, they could have short barrels and "1894" dates.

So, joking aside, I suppose you should at least look at it, but be very careful. Pictures would definitely help. 

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Well, looking at the much better photo, that is not a Krag sight cover!!  Smiley

Looks like an '03 barrel - in any event, it's a bubba.

IP Logged

King
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
New guy here what's a bubba?

Any value as it sits?

Thank you

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
It is certainly possible that the term was only marginally warranted in your case.

A "bubba" is a derisive slang term often used to describe an otherwise collectible military arm which has been crudely "sporterized" (converted to a hunting rifle) in a garage, by someone who failed both wood shop AND machine shop. Chopped-off forends, hack-sawed barrels, ugly sights, double, even triple, sets of scope mounting holes, plastic stock inlays, etc. are staples of true bubba-dom.

No offense was intended, but the 1894 has probably lost all collector value. If you want to sell it, browse (You need to Login to view media files and links) to get some ideas on presentation and price. Good pictures are, however, an absolute must!

IP Logged

King
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Great thanks for the heads up. Smiley. Thanks for all your help. Grat forum.

J

IP Logged

Top Dean
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 3:07am
Print Post  
if you are looking to get ride of one of your rifles please contact me and we can talk and go from there. Wayne.Dean@te.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo