Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag accessories and a mystery (Read 3081 times)
5MadFarmers
Ex Member

Krag accessories and a mystery
Jul 29th, 2012 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
FY 07-08 production at Frankford, Part II, Class IV, Section 5 lists a "Body Gauge" for the 1906 cartridges.  They made one:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Note the "price" was $4.90 but we'll get to that.

FY 08-09, same section, doesn't list any:

Pamphlet 1879, Price list of Ordnance Stores, dated 1914, page 69, lists the body gauges for 1898 and 1906 cartridges at $2.35.  They're absent from the 1917 edition (which will eventually become a wallpaper panel....).

Body gauge for the 1898 cartridge.

Made at Frankford in 1908.  It doesn't show up in their production reports.   Huh

Interesting mystery.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag accessories and a mystery
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
I think they are exactly like the cartridge case gauges made today by the L.E. Wilson firm in Cashmere, Washington.  Modern production sells for about $30 each.  Very handy if you are going to keep reloading, esp. with salvaged cases.

Both Midway & Graf have the gauges for both calibers in stock.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure I understand what the question or mystery is?  It appears to be a gauge to check case body dimensions.  Once the arsenal had one, why would there be a need for it to be produced annually?

IP Logged

5MadFarmers
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 12:05am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jul 29th, 2012 at 11:01pm:
I'm not sure I understand what the question or mystery is?  It appears to be a gauge to check case body dimensions.  Once the arsenal had one, why would there be a need for it to be produced annually?

The only body gauge listed as made in 1908 is for the 1906 cartridge.  That one is clearly marked as being for the 1898.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 1:04am
Print Post  
5MadFarmers:  Thank you for the explanation.  I didn't  realize initially that both pictures were of the same gauge.  "1898" is kind of washed out by the reflection of light in the second photo.  Now, I understand the mystery.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Sloppy record keeping?  Or was there a separate division or accounting practice for equipment made specifically for the National Guard? 

By 1908, the Regular Army was pretty well on the way to being equipped with the New Springfield.  The .30-03 rifles had been recalled and modified for the 1906 cartridge.  But National Guard units armed with the Krag saved their empty brass and reloaded it.  Such gauges would be used by the unit armorer in checking empty brass before reloading. 

If Springfield was going to tool up to make such gauges, for either cartridge, why would they only make 1?  Unless it was a prototype, with production to follow after testing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo