Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Lee mould DC312-155gr-RN-GC (Read 2307 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Lee mould DC312-155gr-RN-GC
Jun 11th, 2013 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
I ordered this .312" mould today from Brownell's.  I figured the 155 gr. round-nose would be a fun economical plinker at 50 and 100 yards in my Krag "carbines".  It will also conserve lead alloy.  Now, I'm off to scrounge for wheel-weights.  The learning curve begins!  Thank you everyone for your helpful leads.  Any opinions on the suddenly ubiquitous aluminum gas-checks?  Parashooter's recent photo of rifling nicely 'engraving' a cast bullet and its copper gas-check gives me pause to try anything but copper in this role.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2013 at 10:04pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Lee mould DC312-155gr-RN-GC
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2013 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Scrounging wheel weights may be a false economy.  In our PC "Lead is evil & Made in China" world, you never know what the wheel weights are made of.  Do you really want to shoot some bullets made of an unknown metallic alloy down the barrel of your treasured Krag?

I have been very happy with the known-alloy ingots purchased from Rotometals.  Our postal persons disagree.

I think the same can be said for the aluminum gas-checks.  Were they once beer cans?  Do you want some unknown aluminum oxide rubbing on the bore?

IP Logged

Pentz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Cast Boolit Shooter

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Go to (You need to Login to view media files and links) and join up.  You can buy range lead of suitable hardness for a tad over 1.00/lb shipped to your door.
Wheelweights are largely zinc nowadays and not worth the trouble to sort.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Pentz & reincarnated:  Thank you for your replies.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo