Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
gunsmithing the krag (Read 4102 times)
Matty13
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

gunsmithing the krag
Jul 10th, 2013 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I have a krag in my shop and the customer wants a replacement barrel on it. What sort of tooling do I need? I have a barrel vise and wrench and do lots of mausers and Rem 700s. I'm at a loss.

IP Logged

Matty13
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: gunsmithing the krag
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
All,

If anyone knows who I can refer my customer to, that would be helpful as well. I'm in NC, Ft bragg area.

MM

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Criterion makes barrels for the Krag which are sold through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (in Rifle and Carbine length).  Used barrels are sold often on eBay and gunbroker.  Apparently, Krag barrels are very accurately indexed so extractor cut and head-space are not a problem.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Criterion barrels are very good... however, they are sold "In the White."  They will need to have the front sight post installed and then will need to be blued.  Also, I have heard that the rear sight screw holes are 6-24, as opposed to the Krag screws 8-30 size.  Other than that, I understand they are an excellent value.  I had a new Criterion barrel installed in my dad's Garand, and couldn't be happier with it!

IP Logged

WJU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I just got my new barrel from the CMP today. I will have to let you know how it is after I get the sights installed, and the barrel installed. I went carbine length with mine. Should be great with the old redfield peep Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo