Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Rebarreling my 1898 Rifle for Competition (Read 11921 times)
Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Rebarreling my 1898 Rifle for Competition
Jul 22nd, 2013 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
A while back I shared with you all the results of my range testing my 1898 Krag.  I was able to get some very good groups from it using .311" Sierra 174 grain Match King bullets and Speer 180 grain .312" Round Nose Soft Point bullets and IMR 4350 powder; however, the accuracy was not consistent and it took the barrel a long time to settle in after it had been cleaned.

Well, David Sams, my gunsmith called me today to let me know he'd finished installing a Criterion barrel on the gun with excellent results.  The barrel had been purchased from the CMP in the white and with no front sight base.  It was dovetailed for one and short chambered.  He fit the original front sight base and blade, fit and blued the barrel and chambered the gun with a short throat for match bullets.

The Criterion was actually the second barrel he fit.  The first barrel was purchased from Numrich and while it looked great had several problems.  It had a .312" bore, but was throated for .308" bullets.  Based on his description of the problem, the barrel seems to be made to shoot lead bullets rather than jacketed.  In any case it did not work out the way he wanted and he installed the Criterion instead.

He test fired the gun at 100 yards using his favorite hunting load and shot a 2" group, about 4" above point of aim with the rear sight set at 100.  Since I'm going to use a 6 o'clock hold this should work out fine.  the windage of the rear sight is set a zero/zero so he apparently put the barrel on straight Grin

A range report will follow once the gun is in my hands and I've worked up some loads.

Keith

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Rebarreling my 1898 Rifle for Competition
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2013 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Keith:  I'm glad you have a barrel to your liking.  Its performance will be interesting to hear about.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Will you be at Camp Perry with it?  I'll be shooting in the Friday AM session on the Viale range with Madsenshooter.  Look us up if you're there!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 3:31am
Print Post  
My parked Krag is going to need another barrel.  I've managed to ring the chamber up in the neck, by using fillers with cast bullet loads.  I was using Puf-Lon and I tamped some of it down in the case too hard on one load.  I've read a lot of other posts about ringed Krag barrels on other boards.  Steel must be a bit soft.  I think a chrome-moly barrel is a good idea.  I'm wondering about the throat on the CMP barrels.  Wondering if they're cut long enough for roundnose loads or chambered short enough that one can cut the throat they want.  I have a reamer that appears to me would cut a throat for spitzer bullets.  If the CMP barrels are already throated I'd just skip them and get one from Criterion that had no chamber.  I'll be watching for your results Keith.

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Bullet choice for my 1898 Rifle
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
If I find the chamber will accept a RN bullet of 180-220 grain weight, I may just focus on that rather than a spitzer design which I know from experience does not feed as smoothly as a RN.  Since the range is only 200-300 yards (no first hand experience, but what I've been told) I'm more focused on smooth feeding in sustained fire than I am with long range accuracy that a spitzer can provide.  In my original testing, the two best loads were from the 174 grain .311" Sierra Match King and the 180 grain Speer RN soft point.  The Speer was actually the most accurate and consistent.  If the upcoming tests have similar results then the choice will be simple.

Those of you with experience at Perry can tell me what range the match is shot at and whether they ever go beyond 300 yards.

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2013 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Keith, the shooting is done from 200yds.  You might find a local club that goes a longer distance, but there aren't many that have a longer range.  I sometimes shoot mine in regular highpower matches at a club that goes from 200 to their max range of 300 for a rapid fire string.  Then we shoot the last slow fire on 600yd targets reduced for 300.  I use 168s, but the 92/96 feeds spitzers more reliably than the 98.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Which day and session are you registered for at Perry Keith?  If you're shooting Friday morning, you could join Madsenshooter and me.

The course of fire is 35 rounds:  five rounds sight-in and ten rounds for score - slow fire from prone;  ten rounds - rapid fire - prone from standing;  ten rounds - slow fire standing.  All shots are 200 yards.

For what it's worth, Camp Perry is a load of fun!!!  Last year was my first, but I am hooked!!!  I am shooting with Madsenshooter again this year (and my brother-in-law... he's shooting a Nagant).

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Rebarreling my 1898 Rifle for Competition
Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
I just got my rifle from David Sams and he did a beautiful job of installing the new Criterion barrel.  Now, if it shoots as good as it looks I'll be a happy man.

I'm going to put together a few test loads using a selection of 220 grain bullets:  Sierra, Hornady, Woodleigh, Nosler and Lapua (which is 200 grains and almost a semi-spritzer design).  My starting load will be 40 grains of IMR4350 for a muzzle velocity of near 2000 fps.  I hope IMR4350 works because its the only rifle powder I've got a good supply of, except H4831SC, which is not listed as one of the powders that should work.  I've also got a couple of pounds of IMR4895 and may try that as well.

Your comments are appreciated.

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:49am
Print Post  
I shoot Hornady 220 gr round nosed bullets over 40.0 grains of IMR4350, and I couldn't be happier with that load!  This is a close approximation of the original Krag load. 

I am trying CCI Magnum primers this year.  I've been told that Magnum primers help to achieve a cleaner, more complete burn with slower burning powders like 4350.

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 11:21am
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:49am:
I shoot Hornady 220 gr round nosed bullets over 40.0 grains of IMR4350, and I couldn't be happier with that load!  This is a close approximation of the original Krag load. 

I am trying CCI Magnum primers this year.  I've been told that Magnum primers help to achieve a cleaner, more complete burn with slower burning powders like 4350.

What OAL did you settle on?  Are you using a longer OAL for slow fire or the same for everything?

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 1:47am
Print Post  
My OAL is 3.03, and that's based on the crimp groove on the Hornady 220 gr round nose bullets.  I never really thought about using a longer OAL either...  Maybe I would be able to improve my slow fire accuracy if I did.  Hmmmm... maybe after Perry, I'll look into that!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2013 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Yea, next year.  I don't know about your 220s, but the FMJ 220s I'm going to sell you have quite a bit of taper to them.  At 3.169", they're still not into the rifling of my parked Krag.  At 3.245" they're in there with about 1/4" of the shank in the neck.  Quite over max magazine length.  I'd opt for minimizing the jump, maybe seat as long as I could get away with, but I would be afraid of a difference between POI of bullets seated out into the rifling for slow fire vs bullets with a jump for rapid fire.  Not a big deal if it happens and you know the proper sight settings.  3.08", 3.09" might be good for both rapid and slow fire, and 3.08" is what Hornady used for the 220.  The OAL issue is something I've pondered with cast bullets, seat slow fire rounds out into the rifling, leave the rapid fire rounds at magazine length, and hope for the best?  Answer seems to be to find a bullet with a big enough ogive that it's into the rifling at or below max magazine length.  I have a few molds that'll give me a bullet I can do that with.

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Range Report on Rebarreled 1898 Rifle
Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Well, I took my newly rebarreled 1898 Krag to the range this last weekend and got mixed results.  The new barrel is a Criterion from CMP with all the work done by David Sams in Cartersville, VA.  I shot all the rounds at 200 yards using a 200 yard NRA rifle center.

As I described in an earlier post I was shooting 220 RN SP bullets from Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, and Woodleigh, and a 200 RN SP from Lapua.  I used 40 grains of IMR 4350, each one hand weighed to the exact amount.  All were seated to an OAL to 3.100". 

The 220 Woodleighs vertically strung the shots at 200 over about 8 inches.  A group of three at the top, a group of two at the bottom and the rest spaced in the middle.

The 200 Lapuas shot higher than the 220s by about 10" at 200 yards (12 o'clock on the 200 yard bull) but to the same windage and a group about 6" in diameter.

The Sierra and Hornady 220s shot into about 4"-5" both near the bottom of the bull.

The Nosler 220 RN SP, also a semi-spritzer design like the Lapua, was the clear winner.  It shot 5 into a 10 ring size group, which is about 4" in diameter, with 3 out of the 5 in the 10 ring.

The sights were initially a challenge but with my reading glasses on the sights were sharp and clear and pretty easy to use with precision.  All in all the work was a success.  I intend to load up some more Sierra, Hornady and Nosler loads (loaded to 3.150" OAL) and verify the results as soon as I'm able.

Keith

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

MAG-63
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Keith, thanks for the update. I'm contemplating re-barreling my cut-down '98 rifle with a Criterion barrel, so your results are very encouraging. Please keep us posted of your continued results.

IP Logged

ekpugh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Keith Herrington wrote on Jul 22nd, 2013 at 8:28pm:
A while back I shared with you all the results of my range testing my 1898 Krag.  I was able to get some very good groups from it using .311" Sierra 174 grain Match King bullets and Speer 180 grain .312" Round Nose Soft Point bullets and IMR 4350 powder; however, the accuracy was not consistent and it took the barrel a long time to settle in after it had been cleaned.

Keith

I noticed the same thing with my Krag.  I shot prbly 15 rounds until the rifle settled down.  I had soaked the bore to get rid of any copper fouling.  After the last trip to the range I just cleaned enough to get the powder out.  Is this typical of these barrels?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo