Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New Guy Needs Some Information (Read 2044 times)
Rick H.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Guy Needs Some Information
Oct 8th, 2013 at 3:43am
Print Post  
Hello all, I am in the process of purchasing a pretty nice looking Krag from a gentleman in New York.  I have yet to actually see the rifle in the flesh but it looks pretty decent in photographs.  Up to this point in my life I have been content to "gather up" M-1's, M-1 carbines and 1903's and 03A3's so the Krag rifle is a little out of my realm so to speak.  I already realize that I have some bore slugging work to do when I get the rifle, but I would like to know if anyone shoots 150, 155 or 168 grain jacketed bullets out of your Krag and if so does anyone use Varget powder?  If so can you tell me what your results were? 

I like to keep my powder storage simple and I already use Varget in several other applications.  Varget is listed quite close to other powders that I know are used in 30-40 Krag loads on burn rate charts.  Thanks for any advise you can offer.  By the way, I did a search for Varget load data and nothing was returned.

Rick

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Guy Needs Some Information
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Howdy, and welcome!

I regularly shoot 165 gr Hornady Boattailed Spitzers in my 1898 Krag sporter, and until last year in my 1898 Krag rifle.  I always load my 165 gr bullets with IMR-4064 (along with my 150 gr FMJ bullets for my Garand, and 174 gr FMJ bullets for my Type 99 Arisaka) with great results.  For my 165 gr rounds, I use 38.6 grains of 4064 and CCI standard primers, which according to my Hornady charts is around midway between minimum and maximum loads... and averages around 2200 FPS.

If your Krag is a full length rifle, you could always shoot 220 grain bullets, which is normal for the Krag.  I load my rounds with Hornady 220 gr Round Nose (jacketed) bullets over 40.0 grains of IMR-4350 and CCI Magnum primers.  40.0 grains of 4350 with a 220 gr RN is approximately equal to the original US .30 Caliber load (220 grain cupro-nickel jacketed bullet and 40.0 grains of Laflin & Rand powder).  Velocity is right around 1950-2000

I've never used Varget, so I don't know how it compares to 4064 or 4350... but I'm sure that others on this forum have and will have some good input for you.  Either way, post some pictures when you get your Krag so we can all be envious! 

Happy shooting...   Cool

IP Logged

Rick H.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Guy Needs Some Information
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2013 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info psteinmayer.  I appreciate the help and I will post some pics when I get it and hopefully you guys can give me some background on it.

Rick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo