Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hand loads for a krag? (Read 2127 times)
dohcsvt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Hand loads for a krag?
Nov 7th, 2013 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Hello,
I am a proud new owner of an 1898 rifle. While waiting for it to arrive I have ordered brass and bullets. The only problem is, in this day of hard to find ammo and reloading supplies I only have one powder available to me 4064. I cannot find much load data on a 220 grain round nose and 4064. What I did find I am suspect of because velocities are listed 2200 FPS and higher. The only load that I have found that sounds right is from the CMP forum web site and it lists 34.4 grains of 4064 and 220gr RN bullet for 1900FPS. This sounds like a good safe load to me. What do you guys think? Of course, I would probably start about 2.5 grains lower and work up. Any input would be appreciated.
Ottis

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Hand loads for a krag?
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2013 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
You are on the right track.  Give it a try and tell us how it comes out.  By the way, are you using 308 or 311 bullets?  Have you slugged your barrel?  If not, I would and then use the bullet that matches your bore diameter.  The 311 bullets worked the best for me in the original barrel, then the 308 when I rebarreled to get better accuracy.  However, I'm now using IMR4350.  For some reason, it seems more available than other powders.

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

dohcsvt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2013 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I have not slugged the bore (the rifle has not yet arrived). However, since I also shoot 303 brit, I have some .312 bullets available to me. So if the .308's do not work I can definitely just use some of my other stock. The rifle was presented as having an almost perfect bore, with strong rifling and amirror like finish. So I am hoping that the .308's I ordered work...if not I guess I can just work up some loads for my M1903's with the 220's. Thanks for your help, and I will report back.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Hi, and welcome to the wonderful world of Krags! 

I would save the 4064 for use with 150 to 165, or even a 180 grain bullet.  The reason you down find much load data for 4064 with a 220 grain bullet is because, as I stated on another thread - 4064 has a burn rate that is too fast for heavier bullets, just as 4350 burns too slow for a lighter bullet.  The standard loading for 220 grain bullets is 40.0 grains of 4350.  This is about as close as you can get to the original .30 US (30-40) ball loads.  4064 is a great powder, and I use it in my M2 Ball (30-06) and 7.7x58 mm loads, as well as 165 grain bullets for my Krag sporter. 

For what it's worth, powders, primers and bullets are starting to reappear on store shelves.  I just picked up a bunch of powder 2 weeks ago.

I hope this helps!
Paul

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo