Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 1st post and 1st Krag just today (Read 16750 times)
RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

1st post and 1st Krag just today
Jul 7th, 2014 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Hello new friends.

I used to be a long-time member of the M14 forum but an over zealous moderator made that no fun anymore. I saw nothing wrong with celebrating Ramadan with pork ribs, personally. My bad? Am currently also on the FAL Files, but they won't let noobs post pics there. Only contributors. So here I am.

I will fill in my profile in a bit.

I have always loved surplus rifles as most everyone. There is something about the steel & wood that all of this new polymers & aluminum cannot hold a candle to.

I can see down below that I can post photos here.

Sometimes God, the Barraka, the universe, and luck smiles upon you.

Just today I picked up a Krag Carbine. I know you buy the rifle not the story but...

The gear does seem to match the story. I saw it on BackPage Phoenix for $350 I guess because it is not painted black and have a 30 round magazine, no one in the area was interested.

OK, here are the details and I will follow up with pictures.

1894 US Springfield Armory. The US is above the SA. then 12XX serial number.
28 cartouche on the heel of the stock.

That is just the rifle. It gets better...

a.) It came with a Winchester Super X yellow box of ammo with 13 rounds left. 180 gr silvertips, product number 30403. What is cool is the box has a price tag of $4.75 with the words Yellow Front on the tag too. Probably the store that sold it.

b.) It came with a horse scabbard that has seen years of use and has molded itself over the rifle through many years of riding over hill & dale.The scabbard has an oval makers mark. E. G. Noble Heprener, ORE. and Maker in the middle of the oval.

c.) Then, imagine my suprise when I opened the cleaning gear hole in the stock and out pop four things. A three section cleaning rod with a slot in one end for patches and a thin little all steel oiler with a knurled end cap.

NOW THE STORY:
The guy said it was his great grandfather's and he was in the army during the Spanish-American war in the cavalry.  More as I learn.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2014 at 4:07am by RetiredNSmilin308 »  

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: 1st post and 1st Krag just today
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 3:23am
Print Post  
The arm in the pictures appears to be a "sporterized" rifle, not originally a carbine.  While it might have served in the war with Spain, it was more likely to have done so with the infantry.

If you can resist being coy about the serial number, some of the advanced collectors here may be able to tell you much more about it.

IP Logged

RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 4:03am
Print Post  
OK, fixed the SN issue.

May I ask what was your major indicator as to it not being an original carbine?  I am not doubting, just asking.  Was it barrel length?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Not likely a carbine because:  Not a carbine stock.
  Non-Krag 'Banded' front sight (common indicator barrel was shortened).
  '1894' dated receiver (only about four experimental 1892 carbines were built).  First significant carbines in large numbers were Model 1896.  Some of these will be dated 1895.
  (Sling swivels indicate Rifle).  Model 1896 Carbines had a ring on a plate on the left side of stock near wrist.  A 'carbine hook' snapped onto the ring and allowed carbine to be slung on cross-shoulder belt.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Welcome!

These are better pics than the ones you posted on GVB.

My basic answer doesn't change, but the model of sight does - that is an 1896, so, the question changes to 1800 or 2000yds?

Butlersrangers sums it up pretty well, except there were only two M1892 carbines.

The story may have been true as far as it went - that gun would definitely have seen SAW service. What you were not told was that he modified it to hunt with. That is a neat (and old) scabbard. The ammo dates from the 1950s/60s.

IP Logged

RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Thank you all.

It was a bit of a disappointment, but only mildly so.

Now I can actually go and shoot it without worrying I am messing up a museum piece.

BULLY!

Now someone point me the way to Kettle Hill?

PS...the scabbard might be worth more than the rifle, then?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
I would say you made a good deal for that gun at that price, if the bore is decent. I see far worse for far more on the auction sites every day.

IP Logged

RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Thank you, gnoahh, I poked around a gun shop and a pawn shop today, and the ones I saw were in pretty so-so shape and they wanted $800 for those.  That was just for the rifle, and nothing else.

I cleaned the bore.  It was dirty, but that was all.  It came out beautiful.  No throat erosion that I could see and the rifling was sharp and well defined.

I think I have a keeper here.

I don't ride horses, but i think the scabbard and the ammo will make a nice deco piece for my man cave when I get one.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2014 at 9:43pm by RetiredNSmilin308 »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Just for grins, I googled Heppner, OR, along with Noble - and found that they were - supposedly - a well-known saddle-maker. You might have a real gem there; well worthy of further research! As mentioned above, the scabbard could be worth more than the gun.

While I do not ride, either, one of my great-grandfathers, David E.Walker, founded the well-known Visalia Stock Saddle Company in Visalia CA, in 1870, so, old leather items have always interested me.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Your Krag 'hunting rifle' was obviously well cared for.  The whole package (rifle, 3 piece rod and oiler, and scabbard) makes a great story.  Enjoy and use!

(p.s. Make sure you have the name of the seller's great-grandfather.  You can probably research his SAW service).

IP Logged

RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I have the seller writing me up a little deal about him.  I asked that he also include his SSN and full name.

He said it would take about two weeks.  He said his father and grandfather are working on it.  I am sure it will be a cool story.

I told him I would post it here and send him the link, so it can be a memorial to his great grandfather.

IP Logged

RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 2:18pm:
Just for grins, I googled Heppner, OR, along with Noble - and found that they were - supposedly - a well-known saddle-maker. You might have a real gem there; well worthy of further research! As mentioned above, the scabbard could be worth more than the gun.

While I do not ride, either, one of my great-grandfathers, David E.Walker, founded the well-known Visalia Stock Saddle Company in Visalia CA, in 1870, so, old leather items have always interested me.

I was wondering about that.  I did find a classic leather seller on-line.  I will see if I can ask them.  I do not expect them to be fair in any offer though.  No one is that is a reseller.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
IMHO:  Seller's family should 'disown' him for selling off a family heirloom!  BTW - Requesting a Soc. Sec. # can scare a lot of people off.  It is not very useful, unless, you are an 'identity thief'!  It is better to know States, Counties, and 'towns' where great grand-father lived, when searching for background info.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
"I do not expect them to be fair in any offer though. No one is that is a reseller."

That seems a trifle harsh - as the owner of an antique store, I will tell you that we cannot, and do not, pay collector prices for items that customers bring in. If you want a retail price, you need to deal in a retail environment, as in with another collector.

And, it might be interesting to hear your definition of "fair". To take this one notch further, was your $350 "fair" to the seller? The venue cited would not seem to be a hotbed of current collector knowledge. Sounds like kind of a public garage sale deal where the selling party had NO idea of the item's true worth.

Not angry - just sayin'

IP Logged

RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
My apologies, Dick, if that came out as harsh.  That was not my intent.  Pure ecomomics says a reseller will never give you as good a price as a collector.

Most of my experience with resellers, are of those "gun runners" that have tables at gun shows.  They are not nice people at all when you try and sell something to them.

Pawn Star shows are more generous.

I once had a Luger from 1936 with all matching numbers and a hardwood base on the magazine.

I had 100% of those "gun runners" offer me a one-to-one trade for that mag with a generic aluminum based one, and a whole $500 for the pistol. (yeah, right)... and they were serious!

I have other examples that are just as obscene.

They always use the excuse..."well we have to make a profit" to justify totally screwing me.

The difference between me and them, is that I gave the guy selling the rifle his asking price.  That is a big difference.

If someone wants to sell me a Johnson rifle for $500, I will pay them.  You would too.

Another big difference is I am going to keep this entire setup, not mark it up 300% and put in on-line or back on the table like those "gun runners" do.

I might possibly sell the saddle scabbard to someone in the cowboy shooting game or to someone that will appreciate it, though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo