Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New Krag owner needs info (Read 7111 times)
Crossfit Dad
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Krag owner needs info
Jul 28th, 2014 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Hi all
Just inherited a model 1898 Springfield armory 128362, per the stamp on the rifle, and was hoping to get a little more info about it. Any ideas what year it was produced? Also the only thing that seems to be missing is the sight. I would like to try and find an original to replace, any recommendations?
Thanks Tim

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Krag owner needs info
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Crossfit Dad:  Welcome to the KCA Forum.  Your Krag, #128,362, was built around September of 1898.  It is known that Krags were not built in numerical order.  The numbered receivers were put in parts bins and randomly taken out during manufacture.  As first issued, your rifle would have had the Model 1896 rear sight.  This was likely changed later to a Model 1901 or Model 1902 rear sight.  These three sights each have their own type of hand-guard.  If you post some pictures of your Krag, you will get more specific and useful guidance.

IP Logged

Crossfit Dad
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Be Great info, thanks!! I'm looking to get an original site, if I can find the right one and maybe just clean it up a little. Here are a few pics if there is any more info you can get from them it would greatly appreciated!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 4:19am
Print Post  
Crossfit Dad:  Your removeable front sight blade may be a clue as to the rear sight that was last on your Krag.  The Model 1896 sight uses a blade that measures .286".  The Model 1901 and 1902 rear sights use a blade that is .413" in height.  M-1896 rear sights often seem to sell for around $45.  M-1901 and M-1902 rear sights go for around $70.
  Your Krag seems to be lacking a hand-guard.  Whatever sight you decide on will dictate the model hand-guard you will have to get.  (Repro hand-guards cost around $65 and an original off of ebay will cost around $100).
  Each model of rear sight also requires a different set of rear sight screws.
  You may want to contact one of the Gentlemen, who are listed in the KCA Classifieds, and inquire about obtaining a 'package':  matching sight, hand-guard, and screws.  They might cut you a deal.
  I would suggest you buy Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", for around $20.  It is not faultless. But, it is interesting, convenient, and informative.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of Krags!

Although the image is fuzzy, it looks like the taller front blade to me... but a side view of the front sight would make it easier. 

Is it me, or does it look like the loading gate is slightly ajar?  Does the loading gate and magazine follower function correctly?

A word of advice:  When you get your sight and hand guard, don't attempt to "snap" the hand guard over the barrel.  You must remove the barreled action from the stock, and slide the handguard down the barrel into place.  Then, install the stock and then the rear sight.  Trying to snap the handguard into place will likely crack the wood, rendering the handguard broken.  Once you get your sight and hand guard installed...  you will find shooting your Krag very rewarding.  The Krag is by-far the smoothest operating bolt action you'll ever encounter.  Most people find them quickly becoming their favorite rifle!

IP Logged

Crossfit Dad
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Here's a side shot of the front site.. Any ideas what rear site would be correct? Also i am really not sure  exactly what the hand guard is or looks like so i will have to do some research on that also. The loading gate I had pulled open for the pic I posted so I believe  it operates properly. I would like to take it to my local gun shop to have them clean up the bolt action hardware, loading gate operation and clean the barrel inside. Anything I should know, ask or beware of before doing this? Thanks to everyone who has replied. Your knowledge is priceless!

IP Logged

Crossfit Dad
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Just another pic. Also were any of these rifles issued with bayonets on them or   could they even be added.
Thanks everyone!!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 4:13am
Print Post  
I wonder what is going on at pic 059? The upper band assembly should fit the barrel snugly, and, there seems to be a "extra layer" of metal at the lower strap???? Something is not right there.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Agreed.  In fact, it looks like the entire stock is not fitting correctly.  Lots of gaps in places where there shouldn't be...  something's definitely amiss there! 

The front sight blade is also missing.  It should fit in the groove in that post and is held in place by a pin.  Have you had a look down the barrel?  Remove the bolt, aim it at a light and take a look.  To remove the bolt:  lift up on the extractor slightly, rotate the bolt to the left rear, and remove it from the receiver.  This will give you an unobstructed view down the bore.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Crossfit Dad:  Your Krag appears very rusty and pitted in your photos.  There seems to be stock damage and the stock barrel groove and barrel do not fit properly.
  I wonder if this was a theatre "prop" gun.  The barrel looks like several pieces put together.  You really need an experienced 'gun' person to examine it in person.  (It may be in 'relic' condition and not for shooting).
  Your Krag is missing its front sight blade and pin, rear sight and screws, and appropriate hand-guard.
(photos attached to show those features on a Krag).

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I noticed the fit of the upper band too.  No idea why, other than knowing of Townsend Whelen's recommendation that they be sanded so as not to inhibit the barrels elongation when it gets hotter.   One of my 92/96 rifles looks similar, sans the metal insert.  It could be someone found out like I did, too much off the band and it doesn't shoot worth a hoot, the barrel really needs to contact the wood out there at the tip or it wanders around, thus the metal insert. The barrel channel appears to have been hogged out a bit too, someone's attempt at free floating, that was also done to the 92/96 I mentioned.

IP Logged

Crossfit Dad
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Jul 30th, 2014 at 4:13am:
I wonder what is going on at pic 059? The upper band assembly should fit the barrel snugly, and, there seems to be a "extra layer" of metal at the lower strap???? Something is not right there.

Actually that would be very old black electrical type tape. My father put it under the 2 sling bands as the were a little loose. Little history-- about 60 years ago my father found this rifle in the Potomac river while fishing with his friends. He thinks it may have come from a an old gun shop on the water front that burned down and fell into the river. I took the bolt lever off and the barrel is open. I do not believe it to be a prop, I thinks it's the real deal just in need of a lot of TLC. So can you buy an original stock to replace the old one as the butt has a rather large crack in the wood? Thanks for the pics butlersrangers!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Crossfit Dad:  If your Krag spent years in the Potomac River and maybe went through a fire, I would recommend keeping it 'as is' as an interesting relic and conversation piece.  There is probably too much structural damage from corrosion for this Krag to be usable and safe.
  The expense of attempting restoration would exceed the 'restored' value of your Krag.  You are better off locating and buying a decent Model 1898 Krag for shooting.
  I think your Krag and story are pretty cool.  It has display value 'as is'.  Lots of forum members post about "....this is the Krag my Grandfather may of carried in the .....".  You can state with a certainty:  "This is the Krag my Father caught in the Potomac"!  (I hope he had a Fishing License for this gun)!
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2014 at 5:24am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Crossfit Dad:  Your Krag and its story suggests a regular feature we should have on the KCA Forum:  "The Krag Katch of the Day"!  It would be great fun.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I wonder what kind of bait he was using???  Maybe a Spaniard?  LOL

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo