Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Restoring Dad's "Old Lucky" (PIX Added) (Read 7130 times)
Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Restoring Dad's "Old Lucky" (PIX Added)
Sep 24th, 2014 at 12:42am
Print Post  
This story starts on a fall morning sometime in 1958 in the kitchen of a farm house a few miles Northwest of Fennelton, PA.

I was 8 years old & I can still picture that slim "sprorterized" 1898 Krag in my Dad's hands. It sported a whittled down GI stock that had a slender forend with a schnable shaped tip. The GI buttplate with the trap was still there. It was adorned with ivory colored plastic wedge shapes with squared off tips inlayed into the walnut stock that was nearly black from the build up of aged linseed oil. The barrel had been cut back to 22". It was a handsome rifle that I found to be nimble in the hands when I took up deer hunting in the same neck of the woods 9 years later.

My Dad had just bought the rifle from his best friend "Fat" Miller. He paid $12 for it, more than he made in an 8 hour day at the "Fertilizer Works" in Butler. That year he shot a buck with that rifle, the 1st time he even got a crack at a deer after many years of tramping the woods in his Woolrich jacket & pants.

In my late teens I decided to "refinish" the stock, sanding away the wood to eliminate the plastic inlays some of which had cracked, fallen out & gotten lost. I butchered it! The metal was no longer flush with the wood surface & I had sanded into one of the voids in the butt stock.

In 1998 I moved to my present location in Northern NY State, just 13 mile from the Canadian border. Last year my son wanted to hunt with Poppy's (my Dad) rifle so I cooked up a few 30/40 hand loads with 165 grain bullets & took the old warhorse to the range. Wow, the GI rear sight leaves a LOT to be desired. Especially for 60 + year old eyes. I could hold about 3" groups @ 100 yds, but flyers were common. Forget about trying to hit something in the woods in low light. My 24 year old son couldn't do much better.

I decided to get a Williams FP receiver sight installed by Dennis Olsen since I didnt want to risk breaking a tap off in the case hardened receiver. (to be continued)
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2014 at 10:30am by Dads Krag »  

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Resurrecting Dad's "Old Lucky"
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 12:43am
Print Post  
(Continued)

I had picked up a semi-inletted '70s style "Bishop" Monte Carlo stock complete with "white line spacers" a few years back. I found it rummaging around in the dimly lit back room of a local gunshop & nobody could mistake that in-letting for anything else but a Krag Jorgensen.  It had a few minor checks in the butt & the gunshop owner let me have it for $15. After that stock sat around for several years I got it out when my son expressed interest in using "Old Lucky. By laying the butchered stock on top of the Monte Carlo monstrosity, I found there was enough wood in that stock to make a straight grip replica of the original "sporterized" stock. I took a bench mounted belt & disc sander to it to remove the comb, cheek piece & pistol grip to get the straight grip shape & roughed in the schnabel forend.

I spent most of the day Sunday with in-letting black, chisels & a barrel channel scraper getting the action bedded. Yesterday I took an angle grinder & flap disc to it roughing it down closer to the final shape. Today I removed the plastic buttplate & took 3/8" off the butt in the table saw. After in letting the GI buttplate & drilling a trap for extra aperture discs, I'll be ready to finish sand the shape.

The shape is almost identical to the old stock. I'm not going to go for the black oil look or the fake ivory inlays, but I've had great results with Birchwood Casey "Rusty Walnut" water based stain & Minwax "Antique Oil Finish". Last year I learned how to rust blue & do niter blued accents in the kitchen oven. With a new stock, rust blue & the Williams FP receiver sight, I think my Dad would be tickled to go deer hunting with the resurrected "Old Lucky" if he was still with us.

Maybe my son can use it to kill that big bruiser buck that always seemed to elude my Dad.

As soon as I can get my laptop fixed I will post some PIX. I'm working with an iPad right now & can't upload pictures.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2014 at 1:48am by Dads Krag »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 1:54am
Print Post  
"Dads Krag", welcome to the KCA Forum.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of 'Old Lucky'.

IP Logged

MilSurp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2014 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Great posting to read - enjoyed it thanks.
Looking forward to the photos

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I got the buttplate inletted a few days ago.

Yesterday I made a small .055" thick pad from a short section of a screw slot file. I soldered it to the bottom of the reciever so that the sear & the forward edge of the trigger rests on it. I had previously polished all of the bearing surfaces.  I now have a single stage trigger that breaks cleanly at a consistent 3#

Sear engagement is still ample. I tried slamming the bolt closed several times & also bumped the butt down smartly on a wood block to test for accidental striker release. No failures.

If you have an already "sporterized" Krag that is not a candidate for restoration this is an easy modification that can quickly be reversed if desired.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2014 at 1:32pm by Dads Krag »  

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Here are some PIX of the progress so far.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

The throat seems to be in pretty good shape. I did a chamber/throat cast & even though the lands are worn a little in the throat, they are not eroded.

Loading 160gr Hornady FTX bullets @ 3.075" OAL over 49.5gr of RL 17 gave excellent results.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Looking ready for Bambii!

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Here are a few bucks shot from the tri-pod stand in my woods.

2004, Dressed 219#

2005, Dressed 168#

2009, Dressed 142#, was very run down from the rut.

This young man killed his 1st buck from the tri-pod.

They just opened up my WMU for Black Bear this year. One was hit on the road about 4 miles from my place recently & the neighbor got a picture of one on a trail camera.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2014 at 9:08pm by Dads Krag »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Good looking whitetails.  Krag 'em and bag 'em!  (In little white freezer paper packages).
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2014 at 4:51pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Restoring Dad's "Old Lucky" (PIX Added)
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2014 at 3:56am
Print Post  
I have been thinking about trying the 30/30 FTX for some time, but never got around to it.  With its less tapered forepart I thought it might get a bit closer to the rifling than 168gr match bullets.  But they're nearly as expensive, which is probably the biggest reason I never got round to it.  I need to cast some bullets that shoot like match bullets.

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Restoring Dad's "Old Lucky" (PIX Added)
Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 12:31am
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Oct 16th, 2014 at 3:56am:
I have been thinking about trying the 30/30 FTX for some time, but never got around to it.  With its less tapered forepart I thought it might get a bit closer to the rifling than 168gr match bullets.  But they're nearly as expensive, which is probably the biggest reason I never got round to it.  I need to cast some bullets that shoot like match bullets.

I placed 2 aluminum wheel collars on my ramrod W/an 8-32 socket head screw/locknut that has the head ground flat screwed into the end.

I use a stiff spring just long enough to reach the neck of the case to push the bullet into the lands.

I check the barrel length to the bolt face, slide both collars against the muzzle & tighten the set screw of the 2nd collar. Then, I insert the case/spring/bullet into the chamber, close the bolt & measure again, slding the 1st collar to the muzzle & securing it. I measured 3.089" between the collars.

I had my dies set for 3.150" OAL for a 150 Nosler BT. By adding .075" shims under the locknut, I got 3.075" W/the 30395 160gr FTX. the nose is really stubby. The BC is only .330, but that still carries + or - 3 .5" way farther than I can hit anything W/iron sights anyway.

"Quick Target" plots 2500 fps, 1" LOS above bore axis striking 2" high @ 50yds to be + 3.5" from 110 to 130yds, zero @ 214yds & - 3.3" @ 250yds. 300 yds is 10.2" low & retains 1780 fps W/1126'# of energy.

It should get the job done on the biggest deer @ any range that a person is capable of putting it on target. W/open iron sights from a rest I can do it to 150+ yards. W/aprerature sights on a bright morning when the sun is at my back in the tri-pod, I think I could extend that range quite a bit more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo