Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Some questions about my 1896 (Read 3263 times)
gopher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Some questions about my 1896
Sep 30th, 2014 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Just recently acquired a model 1896 from my father after it sat in his cabinet for 25 years and he finally decided it should do something.  I believe it hasn't been sporterized, it's roughly 49"long and the barrel is roughly 30", can't give more exact measurements right now because my 1 yr old thinks its fun to grab the tape measure while I'm trying to read it.  Am I correct in assuming its unmodified?

My second question is that stamp on the stock, was that normal?  I know from the serials it was produced in 1898 but it is a 1896 model (with a 1901 sight though).

Final question is I'd like to put a scope on this for deer hunting this fall, but from what I've seen i can only do a 3"rail without doing any permanent modifications to the gun.  Is that correct?  I don't want to ruin the gun being original and all so that limits my options for a scope if that's the case.

As of right now without much practice I'm holding roughly a 4 inch group at 100 yards but I rarely use iron sights so i think thats mostly the shooter.  If i have to I'll put more rounds through to get a better feel

I'd love to get some more information on this gun as its a beauty to shoot, thank you all

IP Logged

gopher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Some questions about my 1896
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 1:25am
Print Post  
gopher:  Welcome to the KCA forum.  That looks like a pretty nice Model 1896 Krag you have.  The serial number of your rifle would help in providing more information.  Model 1896 Krags were built until early July, 1898, and Model 1898 rifles started around #109,000.  The 'Cartouche date' on your stock is when the completed arm was accepted into service.  You probably don't want to subject this original looking rifle to Hunting use and scope mounting.  IMHO  (I took the liberty of lightening up your photo).

IP Logged

gopher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Serial is 105347, and thank you my phone only does so much in low light.  More than likely I will just leave it as be and just practice with the iron sights more, and thank you for the answers

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Trade ya 3 deer rifles for that clumsy old war horse!  LOL

IP Logged

gopher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 1:53am
Print Post  
lol tempting offer but the old girls been in my family since the early 1900's, my great grandfather used to drop deer at 400yds with the rifle and he was the last to hunt with it

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 4:04am
Print Post  
I have used a 3x7 LER scope with the Kraghaus 3" mount.  The scope is cheap enough on ebay to be disposable, but for the most part, works well.  First group I shot with the combination was a 2000fps 168gr cast load that put 12/13 into less than an inch at around 70yds!  Be sure to get the screws really tight, and use loc-tite. 

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I also used the Kraghaus mount with my cutoff sporter, and that same LER scope (made by AIM) too.  I use this rifle for Cast Bullet matches. 

I agree with ButlersRangers:  don't modify this rifle, as it has beautiful history with your grandfather... and it's in great condition too!  I shoot my 1898 rifle in CMP matches all year, and I hold under 3 inch groups at 200 yards to boot!  I use the 1902 sight, but the 1901 sight is very user friendly, and with practice, you should be able to achieve great results too!  Remember, your sight is calibrated for 220 gr RN bullets moving roughly 1900-2000 FPS. 

Here's a picture of mine:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo