Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 pacific peep sight value? (Read 9818 times)
kevin.303
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

pacific peep sight value?
Oct 2nd, 2014 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Howdy,  ive picked up a 1898 to rebuild and it came with a pacific peep sight as well as a spare 1896 rear sight assembly. What is the value on these? I figure to sell em on ebay to help finance the criterion barrel.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: pacific peep sight value?
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Kevin.303:  Welcome to the KCA forum.  (You must be a Lee-Enfield fancier)?
  If you posted some pictures of your Pacific and model 1896 Krag sights, it would be easier to give you an estimate of their value.  There are two models of Pacific 'no-drill' sights:  K-1 and K-2 (micro elevation & windage adjustments).  The Pacifics seem to sell for around $65 to $90.  An 1896 Krag rifle sight generally seems to go for $35 to $55.  Condition controls desirability and price.  If you search Ebay for 'Krag', you will generally see these items for auction.

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 2nd, 2014 at 12:22pm:
Kevin.303:  Welcome to the KCA forum.  (You must be a Lee-Enfield fancier)?
  If you posted some pictures of your Pacific and model 1896 Krag sights, it would be easier to give you an estimate of their value.  There are two models of Pacific 'no-drill' sights:  K-1 and K-2 (micro elevation & windage adjustments).  The Pacifics seem to sell for around $65 to $90.  An 1896 Krag rifle sight generally seems to go for $35 to $55.  Condition controls desirability and price.  If you search Ebay for 'Krag', you will generally see these items for auction.

What is the thread in the aperature carrier on the Pacific sight? Would a Williams aperture thread into this sight?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Most U. S. receiver sights have the same thread for their apertures.  Williams, Lyman, and most Redfields will work.

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 2nd, 2014 at 2:39pm:
Most U. S. receiver sights have the same thread for their apertures.  Williams, Lyman, and most Redfields will work.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I have several Williams aperatures, .050" .093" & .125". The 2 largest have the "twilight" brass ring.

If I can score one of these I won't have to D&T the receiver.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Generally, having a Krag receiver drilled and tapped is a mistake.  It is not hard to find a Pacific K-1 or Redfield 102-K 'no-drill' peep sight.  Just be patient.
  Personally, I prefer the Redfield 102-K.  It is the most convenient for raising and re-setting the elevation staff for easy bolt removal.  (The coin-slot screw is slightly loosened, the elevation slide can then be fully raised, friction will hold the slide 'up', as the bolt is removed normally.  The set screw allows return to previous 'sighted-in' setting).  For hunting, especially in brush, the screw-in aperture is normally left off for improved field of vision.

IP Logged

kevin.303
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
heres some pictures as requested

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Nice sights:  realistic values would be around $90 for K-1 Pacific and $65-75 for model 1896.  IMHO

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Why is it that the rod that goes into the magazine cut-off often seems to be bent on the Pacific sights? The one pictured above is bent as was one other that I have seen lately.

Is tha pin removable? If so, one could make 1 out of drill Rod & heat treat it for more durability.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I have not noticed a tendency for Pacific Krag sights to have bent rods.  The actual rod-end, that goes into the sight body, is smaller in diameter and slightly off-set, when compared to the rest of the rod that enters the magazine cut-off hole in the receiver.  The rod seems to be a 'press fit' into the sight body.
  If the rod is bent, it is probably because someone pounded on the Pacific sight to remove it from the rifle.  It can easily be straightened.  There is no need for hardness in the rod.  When the Pacific sight base is locked into place with its Allen set-screw, there is little stress on the rod.

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2014 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 3rd, 2014 at 9:00pm:
Nice sights:  realistic values would be around $90 for K-1 Pacific and $65-75 for model 1896.  IMHO

Well, I had to sneak a bid in at the last minute to get this K-2 Pacific.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

I paid a bit more than the above suggested price for a K-1 but for me, the micrometer adjustments will come in handy. My son & I will share the rifle & he tends to shoot to the right from my zero. IMO, the extra $23.50 for the ease of repeatable adjustment is well worth it.

Doesn't look like I'll need to take a drill to "Old Lucky" to get some decent hunting sights on her.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo