Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Day 1 30-40 Krag Owner (Read 32273 times)
Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Day 1 30-40 Krag Owner
Oct 7th, 2014 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Good day everyone, I just picked what I believe to be a 30-40 Krag on Saturday.  I won't make you cry with what I paid for it but I am extremely excited after looking up exactly what I purchased.  I have so many questions that need answered.  This gun will never be sold.  It will be a family heirloom for my children's children.

I would like to learn the history of my specific rifle, if that's possible.  I'm going to try and attempt to attach multiple pictures that I've taken for viewing. I look forward to the wealth of knowledge that is encompassed within this site.  One thing I have been educated on in the past two days is the fact that it has not been sporterized, it is full length and does not have a cleaning rod/kit in the buttstock.

Please feel free to tell me any information that you have about this rifle and its history if possible.

I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
-General George S. Patton Jr.

IP Logged

Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Day 1 30-40 Krag Owner
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Cartouche

IP Logged

Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Bottom Cartouche

IP Logged

Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Bolt/Action

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Looks like a nice solid specimen, used, but not beat-up at all.

Apparently you got a really good deal? Congratulations!

No luck on the history, though - 243757 is closest rifle for which there is any data recorded.

IP Logged

Top Dean
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 2:26am
Print Post  
welcome on board, hope you wishes for your rifle do come to pass as I have a Model 1894, Model 1896 and model 1898, while the 98 was very badly tore up but others. I hope I can take parts from the other two as I slowly restore them to make it a good sportier.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Chad S., Welcome to the KCA forum.  Your Model 1898 Krag, #243746, was likely built and accepted for Service early in 1900.  There is a nice agreement between probable time your rifle was assembled and your stock's 1900 acceptance 'cartouche'.  Krags were not built in numerical order.  It appears the receivers were numbered and went into parts bins and randomly pulled out for assembly.

IP Logged

Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Thank you Gentlemen for the welcome.  Yes, I am super excited with my find and look forward to many years of sparce use, maybe even a deer, under it's belt.

Thank you for the info Mr. Hosmer.  I'm thinking what you're refering to is whether or not my serial number was registered with any military unit.  That is a shame, I was hoping to add to the history of the weapon.

Top Dean, good luck with your rebuild.  I personally will most likely only ever own this one due to the deal that I got but I will remain more than appreciative and take good care of her.

Butlersrangers, thank you for that info.  Although I knew it was a Model 1898, and through a quick search realize that the cartouche on the stock meant that it "Entered" service in 1900, I was confused on just exactly when it was manufacturered.  So thank you for that info.

I have questions now and am sure that I'll have many more to come.

1. How do I, for a lack of a better word, "Clean" the rifle?  I have come to understand that referencing the term "Clean" and a 30-40 Krag is not a good combination.  But you must do something to take off the grime around the edges. (Look at my pic of the serial#)  Also there must be something you do for inside the barrel, the action as well as all exposed metal parts?  Would someone please clarify this for me, I want to do it right and not mess it up?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Chad S. - The great majority of U. S. Krags do not have their serial numbers showing up in existing records.  Several hundred of the numbers that are recorded were for rifles that were destroyed at Cumberland Depot in Pa.
  It would be interesting to know which model of rear sight is currently on your Krag.  It is likely your rifle's sight was updated when different models came in to use.  Each sight model required a different wood hand-guard.  (Here are photos of likely sights:  model 1896, 1901 and 1902).

IP Logged

Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Butlersrangers, my sight is the bottom sight.  So what does that mean or tell you about my rifle?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Chad S. -  Your Krag rifle, #243746, likely had at least three different sights on it during its service career.
  When 1st assembled and accepted, it probably had the model 1898 sight, with three sighting notches.  This sight had a short use because it was not liked and was sighted for a higher velocity cartridge, that proved too 'hot' for the Krag action metallurgy (bolt lugs began to develop cracks).
  With a return to earlier cartridge ballistics, the 'model 1898 sight rifles' were fitted with model 1896 sights.  Most of these rifles subsequently were refitted with model 1901 or model 1902 Krag sights.
  With the adoption of the 1903 Springfield, the preferred Krag sight was the model 1902.  Early 1903 Springfields had a sight very similar to the 1902 Krag sight.
  However, in 1905, major changes were made to the 1903 Springfield.  It received a new rear sight which was similar to the 1901 Krag sight.
  There is some basis to believe, that Krags in use by the Regular U.S. Services, tended to be fitted with the model 1901 sight, while Krags in use by the National Guard tended to have the model 1902 sight.
  I would advise you to invest $20 in Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine".  The book is not without flaws, but it will increase your enjoyment of your Krag.

IP Logged

Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Once again Butlersrangers, I truly appreciate your time and expertise in this matter.  You have most certainly expanded my knowledge of my rifle.  And yes, I will invest in Joe Poyer's book, I've already looked it up on Amazon and placed it in my cart for my next Amazon purchase.

As always, if you would like to provide anymore information about my Krag to me, it is greatly appreciated.  I am soaking it up and loving the learning process.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Chad, welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!  Be careful... they are quite addictive!

You have a very nice rifle there.  If you choose to shoot it in any vintage rifle competitions (like so many of is do), we can certainly help you figure out what to do, what loads we each use, etc.  Also, we are all here to help you with anything else you'll need to get started.  Most of us reload, rather than paying the high cost of factory 30-40 ammo.  Reloading for the Krag can prove very rewarding!

As for cleaning, remove the bolt and clean from the receiver end.  To remove the bolt, lift up the extractor (running along the top of the bolt) slightly with your finger, and rotate the bolt to the left and remove to the rear.  Insert the bolt in reverse fashion.  You'll need a longer cleaning rod for that 30 inch barrel, but cleaning from the receiver end will help keep that muzzle nice and tight.  (at least, that's how I do it)

I have the 1902 sight on my 1898 rifle, and I like it better than other sights.  I use the flip-up "Sgt Peep" on the rear of the sight, and I shoot nice tight groups in my matches!

If you need any help or advice... just ask.  There are plenty of great people here willing to help!  This is a GREAT forum!

Paul

IP Logged

Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Well thank you very much for the welcome and advice Paul.  I can already tell that Krags are addictive as I'm so excited and want more already.  I look forward to learning so much about my rifle and Krags in general.

I would eventually like to get into reloading but I have no knowledge or education on reloading itself or anything to do with "loads" and any other terminology associated with it.  I would definitely be interested in attending such a shooting match of Krag owners to talk with guys and bring my rifle, that would be a fun time.  I'm assuming I have the same sight as you, the 1902, because I noticed that my sight has that popup peep to it, which I thought was very cool as I really enjoy peep sights.

Thank you for the info on how to take the bolt out, I did not know this.  One question though, when you clean it, do you use solvent and oil for that barrel and receiver?  I'm a little slow on the uptake and am a simple minded fellow so any detailed info (because I don't want to screw it up) would be greatly appreciated.

Chad

IP Logged

Chad S.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
My rear sight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo