Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 New Springfield (Read 8186 times)
Whitedice
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Springfield
Oct 8th, 2014 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Hey guys, I recently acquired a Model 1896 Springfield. Was sent here from SKS boards. I am wondering what all I can know about it? Does the extent of knowledge on these allow for more than just date of manufacture? Also, what is protocol for cleaning these? The gun is a little dirty/rusty and I would love to clean it up a bit without removing the patina.
I will post pictures in my second post.
Thanks for any information!

IP Logged

Whitedice
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Springfield
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Pictures
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 1:03am
Print Post  
your safety is missing and the patina has some depth.  I'd have a smith look it over well before shooting it.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Looks like you have a crack forming in the wrist area of the stock, which would require attention also. 

Shooting your Krag will be very rewarding...  but let's make sure its safe first.

IP Logged

Whitedice
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice. I am not really sure if this is a piece that I will shoot or not. If I do I will probably get an aftermarket stock of some sorts so that the crack in the original does not get any worse. I originally did not notice the safety was missing as I am not to familiar with these guns. As it stands with a missing safety and cracked stock, could anyone give me a rough estimation on value? Also, is there a serial number registry anywhere that I could possibly find more information about this particular rifle.
Sorry, lots of questions, but thanks for the help!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Don't worry about asking lots of questions.  That's how we all learn, and we're all here to help each other out! 

Records do exist, but don't be surprised if yours isn't listed... most aren't. 

There are others here who can give you a much better idea of value than I could.  However, with the cracked stock, missing safety, and rough metal, it will be on the lower end of the scale.  How does the barrel look?  Hopefully, the bore doesn't look pitted like some of the exterior metal does.  The exterior won't prevent it from shooting though.  The missing safety won't prevent operation either, as long as you keep it pointed in a safe direction.  Replacement safety levers can be found from Numrich, Joe DeChristopher, and on EBay too.

IP Logged

Bill Rogers
KCA Forum Member

Kragger

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 1:10am
Print Post  
keep your eye on this forum.  members often have Krag parts for sale and if they had an action or partial action, you could work on some restoration.  With the value a little on the lower side it might not hurt to do some restoration and make it a sharper piece.  A lot depends on sentimental value and it sounds like that's not an issue.  Good luck.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Whitedice:  Welcome to the KCA forum.
  I would not give up on your Krag.  It needs a good clean up and assessment.  If the bore is in good condition you have a useful rifle.  Your stock looks decent and the crack could be repaired and stabilized with epoxy bedding.  The worst corrosion seems to be on your bolt and trigger-guard.  Those two parts could be replaced for about $75 with parts listed on Ebay.
  More (close-up) pictures would allow better feed-back on condition, rust removal, and care.  Your rifle was assembled in 1897 and is a SAW veteran.  Your rear sight and hand-guard were later upgraded (model 1902 sight and hand-guard).
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2014 at 4:55am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whitedice
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that information. What exactly does that mean though? SAW veteran?

For me, value is pretty important on this. So I dont really want to do a novice fix on that crack and risk lowering the value. I also don't want to sink a lot of extra money in this because it probably wont be an everyday shooter. I used to have a sporterized krag but ended up selling it off because of the ammo costs. Really, I wasnt looking for a krag but picked this one up because of the cost. With gas and everything I paid 370, which I think was a decent deal. Have not decided if I want to trade this off or hang on to it for the long term.

I will try to get some better pictures with some better lighting soon. Thanks for all the help guys!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
SAW = Spanish American War. 

For what it's worth, my opinion would be to fix the crack.  Fixing the crack would not lower the value, but would enhance the re-sellability, as would cleaning up or replacing the damaged/pitted bolt and trigger guard.  Repairs can only increase the value of this.  Also, cost of 30-40 ammo although high, is not as bad as some other rounds... and reloading can drastically reduce the cost (once the initial cost of reloading equipment has been offset). 

I look forward to seeing the better pictures, as this can help give a more accurate estimation of value.

IP Logged

Whitedice
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
To me, that kind of information is why I would keep it. I like the historical information behind the guns. How do you know that it was used in the Spanish American war? Or is that just a guess based on the manufacturing date?

Thanks a bunch!

Pictures will be postponed untill the weather is a bit nicer. Its pretty cloudy and rainy today.

IP Logged

cdagnese
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Looks like with a bolt body, bolt sleeve, safety, trigger guard and some very careful stoning on the left side of the receiver, you could have a nice rifle.  Don't be afraid of repairing the stock.  There are cartouches on that original that you can't and would not want to duplicate.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Whitedice:  I have made the assumption that a Model 1896 U. S. Krag, assembled in 1897, would have seen use during the Spanish War or the long period of warfare in the Philippines.  (I believe your rifle is #57813, if I am seeing your photo clearly).  I don't believe there is a known listing of that specific rifle.  Is there a fancy "JSA" and date in a round cornered box on the left side of your stock, ahead of the 'wrist' area?  (This would be the acceptance 'cartouche' and was the initials of James Sumner Adams).
  You have a Krag that would look more presentable with careful cleaning, minor part replacement (safety), and stock repair.  Be patient, study restoration/cleaning techniques, don't exceed your abilities, and you will do no harm.

IP Logged

Whitedice
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I am not sure if that is the exact serial number, but it should be close enough for the assumptions. I will double check it when I take it out for pictures.

On the cartouche, that is what confused me. The only mark that I saw was the stamp behind the trigger guard. It is not very deep, making me think the stock might have been sanded at one point? If that's the case I would not be as concerned about putting a couple of rods through the crack, epoxying it, and calling it good.

I am not sure if I have the capability to do a nice looking restore on that crack. I have refinished a few sks stocks with cracks, and the results were less than invisible. In fact, my only other experience with a krag is when I purchased a sporter with the stock completely split in half. Since it was an aftermarket stock, and I did not pay much, I went ahead and repaired it so that it at least was shoot-able. Needless to say, it looked pretty ugly.

I will for sure clean the gun up a little, hopefully tomorrow. After that I think I will be able to see what the condition of the metal and wood is in.

Thanks guys! Provided some much needed advice, and information about the gun. 

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 4:05am
Print Post  
How about 67811?  Fuzzy stamp!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo