Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
The Anti-Krag (Read 5826 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

The Anti-Krag
Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Today I acquired a German made Model 1893 Spanish Mauser.  In my experience, early ones that were potentially used in the SAW are very hard to find.  This one showed up at my local gun shop, as part of an estate purchase.  I got it for a reasonable price.
  The rifle must have been used during the Spanish Civil War.  Most of the Royal Crest was removed from the Receiver Ring and from the stock.  However, the bolt, action, sight, and stock numbers all match.  The bore is excellent!  Below the crest is stamped "Berlin 1896".
  I am glad to have a Spanish Mauser to complement my Krags.  I will be shooting this one, after I replace the broken front sight blade.  I also need a rod and sling.  You just never know what you'll bump in to!

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2014 at 1:53pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: The Anti-Krag
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Es possible to show us a photo of the bolt face, por favor?

The bolt face of an 1893 is not the same as other Mausers.

Also, DO NOT use any 7x57 military ammunition made in Chile in the 1960s or 1970s.  The powder is deteriorating, producing explosive gas & liquid confined in the shiny, almost new-appearing cartridge cases.  Case head separations will occur & the pre-98s are not good at handling gas.  You could lose an eye.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking that Chuck needs an heir.  I'd like to volunteer!

LOL

That's a great find!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Reincarnated:  Here are some pictures of El Bolt-face.  Thanks for the caution on the Chilean ammo.  With early 7mm Mauser rifles, I always use lower pressure reloads to 'fire form' the brass and 'neck-size' only.  The early chambers are different than later standards.

Paul:  Sorry, but I plan to out live you!  As they say in Western Scotland:  "There is nothing older, unless it's the hills, MacArthur, and the Devil".
  I will make you heir to some of my knowledge and opinions!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
That's good enough for me Chuck! 

Grin

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
I had a chance to try out my 7mm Model 1893 Spanish Mauser today at 50 yards, while working at my (Sportsmen's) Club's 'Sighting in Days'.  The rifle easily made a couple of 1 1/4 inch, 5 shot groups, with 175 grain Winchester Hunting ammo.  The (inverted "V") issue front sight blade made sighting a challenge and the groups printed 6 1/2 inches above the point of aim.  I think I will install a better shaped (and taller) Swedish Mauser front blade for improved shooting, in the future.  Otherwise, it is a nice rifle to shoot.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2014 at 3:16am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2014 at 3:37am
Print Post  
Interesting photograph of Spanish and U.S. troops fraternizing following the fall of Santiago, Cuba.  This probably explains the large number of Spanish buttons, badges and buckles that seem to show up on Ebay.
  Under the terms of surrender, Spanish troops in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and The Philippines, were granted the 'Honors of War' and retained their Colors and Arms.  Most of the Spanish Model 1893 Mausers went back to Spain.  Like my Mauser, the rifles continued in service, underwent arsenal overhauls, and probably saw use in the Spanish Civil War (with obliteration of Royal markings with the fall of the Monarchy).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo