Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hi new member (Read 1614 times)
Mcbiker65
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Hi new member
Nov 26th, 2014 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
I recently found out that my father has his father's 1898 Krag.  I've been somewhat obsessed with finding information about this model rifle, and can't wait until it is actually passed down to me.

It's a model 1898, but is carbine length and doesn't fall in to the accepted serial number range for 1898 C.  I don't recall the front sight being banded, and the rear sight is certainly the 1896 model.

Could this possibly be a 1899 carbine?  I read something about the 1899 carbines having the 1898 receiver, and 1896 rear sight.  I'm waiting for pictures to be sent.

thanks in advance for any info, advice, tips, etc.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Hi new member
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2014 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Good that you're reading to discover things for yourself.  Real comment will have to come after the pics.  Could be a cutdown, could be an 1899C.  Sometimes the model thing isn't easy to read, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall some overstamping of the last digit in the model number that occurred.  In any case, welcome aboard.

IP Logged

Mcbiker65
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Hi new member
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 3:27am
Print Post  
thanks Madsenshooter.  It's definitely stamped 1898, that is very clear, so it's not one of the overstamps. the serial number also falls in the 1898 range from 1901.  it has the JSA 1901 cartouche as well.  unfortunately - the only pictures i have are of the model / serial number section on the receiver.  hopefully, my parents will get good photos soon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo