Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Hi, new member requesting help (Read 21926 times)
chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Hi, new member requesting help
Jan 1st, 2015 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Hi all, I'm new here on this site. I have a 1897 Steyr built Krag and would like a little info on it, more specifically what cartridge and load should be used in it. I did some measurements and narrowed it down to a 6.5x52mm Carcano cartridge. I would also like to know what the value of this rifle would be. Im not interested in selling it, but I am wanting to use it for deer hunting this fall. I do know it is a very straight shooter and I have fired it, but unfortunately, the few shells and casings I had were lost in a fire, and am having a hard time finding what ammo to use in it. Any info you great people could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

stamped #s
6.5mm MANN  on the barrel, with 19SS just below that at the edge of the wood, barely visible.
STEYR 1897 on the receiver
S/N 38762
31371 on the top of the bolt handle

engraved on the bottom of the bolt handle is a 8 with 7.62 below that

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Hi, new member requesting help
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2015 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
NB - 'chuck':  Your, 1897 dated, Steyr  Krag was built in Austria and started life as a Model 1894 Norwegian Army rifle (in 6.5 X 55mm).  Norway contracted with Steyr to build some rifles during 1896 and 1897.  The 1897 serial numbers ranged from 30,001 to 39,000.  Your bolt may have been replaced, but, the "8 & 762" numbers appear to match the last four digits of your receiver's number, 38,762.  Some 'Steyr-Krags' found their way to South Afrika, during the Boer War.  These are quite rare and IIRC, not in your serial number range.
  It is likely your Krag was rechambered in North America for the 6.5 X 54mm Mannicher-Schoenauer cartridge, after WW2.  In the 1950s, Dominion (Canadian Industries Ltd.) 6.5mm M-S ammo was easier to get than 6.5mm 'Swede' or Italian-Carcano.
  The chamber-alteration was either done by shortening the dismounted, left-hand threaded, barrel at the breech end and re-chambering or by inserting a chamber 'liner'.
  As I advised in an earlier response, it would be a good idea to have this rifle checked by a knowledgeable 'gun person'.  (Attached photo of 'Boer' General Tobias Smuts with Model 1894 Steyr made Krag).
  Photos of your rifle would be enjoyed by all and may beget more information.

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply. I would like some clarification though, you said my S/N didn't fall within the range you stated? It looks to me like its within tat range, toward the end of the series, or would there be another identifying mark on the barrel perhaps under the forestock?

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Also, I measured the chamber with a 1/4" wooden dowl, and it measured exactly 52mm. A 54mm cartridge would be too long.

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Is there anything else I could post to find out more?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 1:01am
Print Post  
NB 'chuck':  Your Steyr Krag is in the serial number range of the Norwegian Model 1894 Infantry rifles built in 1897, (#30,001 to #39,000).
  I said, it is not in the range of Boer (OVS - Orange Free State and ZAR - South Africa Republic) Steyr Krags, that seem to number below #900 and lack some of the Norwegian markings.

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Another picture, at the edge of the wood, it has 19SS or tats what it looks like, may be 1955.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Clear pictures of the numbers and markings on your bolt would be interesting.
  It appears your barrel has the small 'swastika' marking of a Norwegian steel or barrel producer.  This marking is common on early Norwegian Krag barrels and has nothing to do with the Nazis.
  There are a couple of filled screw-holes in the groove on the left side of your receiver.  It appears a scope was once mounted on this 'sporterized' Krag.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 2:08am
Print Post  
chuck0990 wrote on Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:56am:
Also, I measured the chamber with a 1/4" wooden dowl, and it measured exactly 52mm. A 54mm cartridge would be too long.

And were you measuring from the back end of the chamber to the front of the neck? If so, you have to add a couple of mm for the distance from bolt face to rear of chamber.

In any case, a 1/4" (.250") dowel should slip right through a 6.5mm (.256") bore and is therefore a pretty inadequate tool for measuring chamber length. Try this for a better chamber length measurement -

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
For 6.5mm's, a #1 buckshot (.300") is about right. If you don't have an empty case, substitute a piece of that 1/4" dowel 2" (50.8mm) long. Drop buckshot and dowel into chamber, close and open bolt, push buckshot out with rod, measure length to impression of chamber mouth, including dowel. Use longer dowel if no impression is evident. (No buckshot handy - try oiled, well-chewed gum - yuk!)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 2:44am
Print Post  
NB'chuck':  The 6.5mm M-S and 6.5mm Carcano are very similar cartridges.  I have heard of a number of Norwegian Krags altered to the once popular and available M-S round.  Back in the 1950s, 6.5 Carcano was rare in hunting loads.  In fact, M-S brass was used to make reloadable Carcano ammo.  The Carcano round is just an unlikely candidate for re-chambering.

You may have to resort to having a chamber cast done to accurately measure your chamber.  (I no longer have any 6.5mm M-S brass laying around.  Otherwise, I would send you some cases to play with).

Here are some dimensions from one reference:

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 3:10am
Print Post  
Thanks for the extra info, I'll see what I come up with and post soon. Thanks again.

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 5:57am
Print Post  
I made a plug out of a pencil and closed the bolt on it. It measured 55 mm. A 6.5x55 cartridge wont go in all the way so I marked the cartridge at the edge of the chamber and it looks like the same measurement as the6.5x54 M-S. Is it possible to be any other than this cartridge?

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I noticed the ball on the bolt handle seems to be a bit  bigger tham most rifles I see.

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Bottom of extractor

IP Logged

chuck0990
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2015 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Bottom of the bolt. You can also see the engraved  8762 here on the bolt handle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint