Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
A Pair Of Little Norwegions (Read 5110 times)
Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

A Pair Of Little Norwegions
Feb 18th, 2015 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Here are two interesting Norwegian Krag variations. They are both training rifle sized for young shooters. The one in the foreground is the Boys Training Rifle (more like a small carbine) in 6.5X55. The rifle in the background is the .22 Cal trainer.

The .22 trainer was a real train wreck when I got it. Previous owners had spoiled the original receiver by crudely grinding off the loading gate mounting. They heavily modified the original stock with an inlet pistol grip, a commercial butt plate and checkered it with a wood rasp. So we replaced the receiver and loading gate, salvaged a cutdown military Krag stock and rifle front band. No longer matching numbers but it's as close as I can get for now. The .22 barrel retains the original sights and shoots really great groups.

Cat Man

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: A Pair Of Little Norwegions
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Very nice rifles!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Martha lost her Boy's Rifle in 1918 when she was captured by the Bolsheviks.  65 years later she still lamented the loss.

IP Logged

svartkrutt
KCA Forum Member

Scandinavian collector

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Very nice restoration. So they are both M1906 ? Ones stock is just different looking because it was a M94?

(You need to Login to view media files and links) Always looking for antique Scandinavian arms

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: A Pair Of Little Norwegians
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Yes they would both be M1906. The boys rifle receiver is dated 1907 with a low 4 digit serial number. The original and damaged receiver on the .22 Cal trainer version was / is also dated 1907. Also a four digit. The barrels, receivers and most numbers were matching, so the .22 Cal rifle was not a replacement barrel installed onto a 6.5X55 rifle. It was an arsenal built .22

The mangled receiver we replaced with a later one that is dated 1915. And yes the stock is a cut-down M1894 rifle. The .22 Cal trainer would have had the same slimmed down stock dimensions as the Boys rifle. I have considered using the boys rifle stock as a pattern to copy and have a replacement made, but I don't dare risk damage and don't want to send it off.

If anyone has a Norwegian M1906 boys rifle stock for sale, I'm you pigeon. I think the wood is called "unobtainium".

If I post a picture of the mangled .22 receiver, you will cry. So we did the next best thing and she is back on the firing line.

Cat Man

IP Logged

svartkrutt
KCA Forum Member

Scandinavian collector

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2015 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Hi Cat man,

I am not sure, but would not a M97 stock be a good fit?
I see there is one for auction on QXL (You need to Login to view media files and links)

At any rate you have a pair of very nice carbines. Thank you for sharing.

John

(You need to Login to view media files and links) Always looking for antique Scandinavian arms

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint