Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Rod Bayonet 1903 Springfield (Read 8157 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Rod Bayonet 1903 Springfield
Mar 8th, 2015 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
"Fred" posted these pictures of his restored Rod-Bayonet 1903 Springfield and web gear on the Culver's Pages.  He was kind enough to give me an OK to post some of his pictures here.
  The pictures show how the early Rod-Bayonet Springfield rear-sight bears a relation to the Krag model 1902 sight.  When the Rod Bayonet model was abandoned with 1905 changes to the Springfield, surplus useable parts became available to repair model 1902 Krag sights with discarded '03 parts.  (Fred cautions his present sight base is a reconstruction, but, the leaf, slide, and knobs are correct 1903).  Fred's Springfield is still chambered for .30-03.
  Thanks Fred!

IP Logged

Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Rod Bayonet 1903 Springfield
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
That is one beautiful Springfield rifle. Thank you very much for sharing this bit of Springfield history. I have never seen an 03 with rod bayonet in person.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 7:18am
Print Post  
In 1960, in USN Boot Camp, I was issued SN 4003 as a drill rifle.  It had been converted to 1906 standard.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Here are some close up photo's of the rear sight on that rifle. As you can see, the rear sight leaf is graduated up in 25 yard increments. The very first rear sight leaves however were pretty much identical to the Krag 1902 in that they didn't have 25 yard increments. If any such sight leaf or tightening knob with its peculiar dished out areas on either side of the slot are seen on a Krag, then it's a sure bet that they used to be on a Rod Bayonet 1903 Springfield and were removed from it when the change in design of the rifle took place, then were used on the Krags that were being updated at that time.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks again Fred for the pictures and information on the Rod Bayonet  Springfields.

The abandonment of the Rod Bayonet Model 1903 and the 'Updating' to 1905 changes had to leave an abundance of discarded, as well as, unused RB '03 sight parts in storage at Springfield and Rock Island.

The Krag seems to have remained in widespread use with the U.S. Army, Navy, National Guard, and Military Schools well into the 19-teens.  It certainly saw reserve and training use during WW1.  When handled roughly, the Slide-Lock Screw of the model 1902 rear-sight was particularly vulnerable to being bent or sheared-off.

The availability of RB '03 sight parts that interchanged with model 1902 sight parts had to be a real boon to repair and refurbishing of Krags at U.S. Arsenals.

The yardage graduations on model 1898, 1902, and RB '03 rear-sight leafs have the same spacing.  Differences in Cartridge Trajectories were compensated for in the height and curvature of the different model sight bases.

The peculiar RB '03 Slide-Lock Screw is commonly seen on many Krags with the model 1902 sight.  It would be interesting to know if this always indicates repair or if it is a result of 'model changeover', with Krags still being manufactured while the Rod Bayonet Model 1903 was starting production.  (Produce new type knobs that will  work with both out-going and new Service Arms).   
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:10pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
That is an amazing and beautiful rifle Fred!  Thanks so much for sharing it...

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Oh heck, I'm happy to share with you all any photo's you'd like to see!  Smiley  I'm always looking for excuses to use the phone camera that my wife bought me. It's a good one I think.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2015 at 3:16am by Fred G. »  

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 4:04am
Print Post  
Oh I know this is a Krag site, but heck, just one more picture of the rifle whose active duty life span made the Krag's look long by comparison... Just about 15 months of actual assembly I believe.

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2015 at 1:42am by Fred G. »  

IP Logged

Top Dean
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 11:56am
Print Post  
That is a very nice looking Rifle. I have seen one just like it at the gun shows here in my area and the gun with it is also the  author of Description of U.S. Military Rifle Sights. The model of the Springfield you have is not out of place as it does have a modified Krag rear site on it till, it was change out with a totally different site.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
I'm happy that you enjoyed seeing the photo's of it! I wanted to post a few more photo's of it for whomever would be interested in seeing them, but didn't want to deviate from the intent of this wonderful Krag forum. I DO wish Bill Mook was still alive and so could once again drive with Sandy Vandenberg out to the big MO Valley gun show to sit behind our tables and visit for a couple of days. They'd both get a kick out of seeing the old rifle. Bill always brought several things of great interest for show and tell. I miss those days.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint