Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag ammo question (Read 3795 times)
Battis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag ammo question
Mar 24th, 2015 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I just bought an old box of Kleanbore ammo that I'm trying to date.  The box is plain brown with red lettering.  "30-40 Krag and Winchester Smokeless"  "Remington UMC"  "For 30-40 Krag Army and Winchester Model 1895 Rifle."  "220 Grains Metal Cased Bullets"  "Remington Arms Company Inc"
On the bottom of the box is a star, followed by a Z and the number 30  0.
There are 20 loaded cartridges with the headstamps "Rem UMC 30 USA"
Any idea how old the box and ammo are?

IP Logged

Century2
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Re: Krag ammo question
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I too have wondered at what date the headstamps changed. I understand the REM-UMC headstamps began in 1912 and were continued until 1934 when Remington purchased Peters. I understand the R-P headstamps to have begun in 1960 or so. Between, 1934 and WWII, I suspect that headstamps may have varied depending on the round. I suspect that the REM-USA 30 USA was continued at least until WWII and the Peters headstamp was used primarily after WWII through 1960 and after 1960, both R-P and Peters were used regionally. I would expect that a plain brown box would be in the teens, then the white boxes were used through 1934, then multi-colored boxes were used but then most likely after WWII. This is all LONG before my time so it is all based on my findings in the last 30 years or so. It will be interesting to hear what others have learned.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag ammo question
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Is this a 2-piece box, with a top that slips over the taller bottom piece?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint