Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Siege of Baler - Philippines (Read 2892 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Siege of Baler - Philippines
Mar 25th, 2015 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Some little stories are too good not to pass on.  Yesterday, my wife brought me home a "T" shirt promoting a book: "The Devil's Causeway", by Matthew Westfall. The graphics were interesting, showing a bunch of straw hat wearing sailors. Doing some 'Google searching' opened up a couple of interesting S.A.W. stories that were new to me.

1. The Siege of Baler: 50 Spanish soldiers fortify the Baler Church and withstand for 11 months a siege by Filipino Revolutionaries (not believing Spain has surrendered). When the surviving 30 men accept the truth and surrender, Filipinos and Spain recognize their heroism.

2. The Gillmore Incident: A glory-seeking U.S. Navy Lt., from the USS Yorktown, ignores orders and takes a landing-craft and 14 sailors into a river ambush.  The failed 'Baler mercy mission' results in 11 American POWs. Eight POWs and others are eventually rescued by elements of the 33rd & 34th Infantry.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2015 at 11:52am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Siege of Baler - Philippines
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Lt. Gillmore recovered his health after 8 harrowing months as a POW. He gave a glowing account of his exploits and ordeal in McClures Magazine. He advanced in the Navy to the rank of Lt. Commodore. He was photographed in 'Navy Whites' in 1912 on board a Curtiss plane with Lt. Milling, U.S. Army, at College Park Field, N.J. (This was around the time of his retirement). He died in Washington D.C., 6/13/1927, and is buried in Arlington Cemetery.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Siege of Baler - Philippines
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
As always... the pictures are phenomenal!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint