Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Cole Bullet (Read 5777 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Cole Bullet
Apr 10th, 2015 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
'reincarnated' recently wrote about "having a jar of Cole bullets", he had picked up at a gun show. The Cole Bullet was adopted in 1903 for the Krag, and carried over to the early .30-03 Rimless cartridge for the 1903 Springfield.

The Cole bullet lacked a cannelure, so Frankford Arsenal, (Philadelphia), put a cannelure at the base of the case neck to control bullet seating depth. With the rimless .30-03 round, this caused headspace issues. Eventually, the Cole Bullet was modified by tapering the base slightly. This allowed the elimination of the cannelure in the case neck.

It would be fun to load up about 20 rounds and see how the old 'Cole' bullet compares with a good present day 220 gr. load.

(L-R: Single cannelure 220 gr. adopted 1896, Triple cannelure 220 gr. adopted 1900, Cole cylindrical cupronickel jacket 220 gr. adopted 1903).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Cole Bullet
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I would bet it would perform pretty good.  I had a box of older Hornady 220 gr FMJ bullets which were a longer, smoother bullet with a nose profile that was very similar to the Cole (as opposed to the modern profile of the Interloc 220 gr, which has a slight taper towards the nose).  I fired these in a CMP match, and they were the most accurate I've fired out of my 1898 rifle yet.  I would love to find a supply of them!!!

Incidentally, I have two boxes of US .30 ammo dating to 1903 and 1907 respectively... and both have the Cole bullet.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Those were old Hornady 220s meant for dangerous game.  The had a copper coated steel jacket.  I hope you saved a few in case a rhino or water buffalo ever escapes from the zoo.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
LOL Too Funny Bob!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
...... and Giant Squirrels and well armed Bears!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint