Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Model 1898 Krag Carbine Identification (Read 8464 times)
ajv
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Model 1898 Krag Carbine Identification
Apr 16th, 2015 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Hello Community, I recently acquired this gem and I've done my homework but would like seasoned advice in narrowing it down a little further. It seems to be a very early model krag carbine, serial is 121,xxx. 22" barrel with 1896 rear sight (type 3), but without the carbine marking on either the leaf or the sight itself. The markings on the gun seem correct but the cartouche is too faded for me to read clearly. I've provided some images here.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Model 1898 Krag Carbine Identification
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Visually, it seems fine, other than the rear sight - which is disturbing. If it were genuine, as converted at SA, it would have the correct sight. It doesn't - so - was it cannibilized, or is it a put-together? 1896C sights have been very scarce for many years, so it could be either.

Looking at the very limited quantity of recorded serials of assumed genuine 1898 carbines, I can tell you that there are 49 120xxx numbers, zero other 121xxx numbers, and only 5 122xxx numbers. That does NOT mean your gun is wrong - but it is not a particularly good sign, either.

I would strongly suggest you purchase Joe Farmer's book. It will give you some fresh insight into this issue.

Bottom line - just about every "1898 Carbine" is suspect to one degree or another. Having an (notice I did not say "the") original short stock on the gun, and a finish-matched M1896C sight, while NO guarantee of legitimacy, at least presents the scarce/rare parts in context and provides an approximation of what one did look like. I make no higher claim for my own, shown below.

IP Logged

ajv
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I'll definitely need to pick up Joe Farmer's book, this has me baffled. I first thought it might have been converted. Bubba didn't have his hands on it, but there's a large "C" marking along the top of the stock just north of the trigger behind the bolt. I've never seen this marking on another model before. Considering its rarity, it's def unusual for someone to put it together using the 1896C sight.

It's identical to fig.83 in the manual of the carbine model 1899 but the early serial is throwing me off. I've seen serials much later which are model 1896.

I also thought it might be a 1896 cadet rifle, without having been altered for bayonet and sling...

Finding out its legitimacy is becoming an obsessed mission now.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
If it began life as a carbine, it has (given the later 32" stock) been converted - though upgraded might be a better term. As newly made, the 5000 M1898 carbines were configured like mine.

The reason it looks like an 1899 carbine is because that is what it is supposed to look like. Nearly all of the 5000 were restocked shortly after being made. This was partly due to the change from sling-ring-swivel to scabbard for carrying, but also to make the rear portion of the stocks for rifles and carbines more similar, as well as allowing some handguard interchangeability, depending on sight model.

I fear you are confusing the Cadet rifle (a M1896 with serials probably in the 24xxx range) with the "school guns", which are M1899 carbines with full stock, bayonet mount and slings. They are not the same gun at all - not even close.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
'ajv': Welcome to the KCA Forum.

It appears to me, after carefully scrutinizing you photos, that the metal and wood of your carbine have been refinished. The metal colors are too shiny and 'modern blue/black', markings are blurred, and the wood lacks crisp lines. I do not see the letter "C" on the stock, you mention, (in your photos). Your rear sight is a Rifle sight and the rear screw is not correct (It sticks up too high and should be flush).
Is there a small "c" on the right side of your front sight blade?

You do have a 'long' forearm carbine stock (which was used on 1899 carbines and 1898 carbines, that were updated). You have a carbine barrel. Your receiver serial number is relatively close to known model 1898 carbines.

(Brophy, in "The Krag Rifle", reported model 1898 carbines had been observed, intermixed with rifles, "...in the range from 118,894 to 134,256".

Dick Hosmer and Joe Farmer have put far more study into the relatively rare Model 1898 carbines, than I. I could be wrong on my observations. I do have a model 1898 carbine (#119,744) that was ruined by 'scope-mounting'. It came in a 'long forearm' carbine stock. It had been 'updated' and has the "circled P" stamp but no 'cartouche'.

(Attached is a photo of an original carbine front sight bade that should be present on your carbine).

IP Logged

ajv
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Apr 16th, 2015 at 4:27pm:
If it began life as a carbine, it has (given the later 32" stock) been converted - though upgraded might be a better term. As newly made, the 5000 M1898 carbines were configured like mine.

The reason it looks like an 1899 carbine is because that is what it is supposed to look like. Nearly all of the 5000 were restocked shortly after being made. This was partly due to the change from sling-ring-swivel to scabbard for carrying, but also to make the rear portion of the stocks for rifles and carbines more similar, as well as allowing some handguard interchangeability, depending on sight model.

I fear you are confusing the Cadet rifle (a M1896 with serials probably in the 24xxx range) with the "school guns", which are M1899 carbines with full stock, bayonet mount and slings. They are not the same gun at all - not even close.

Yeah, I realized shortly after posting that comment it wasn't the cadet. How much value would this carbine hold given it's been restocked and has the 1898C rear sight? is it worth holding on to?

IP Logged

ajv
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Apr 16th, 2015 at 5:29pm:
'ajv': Welcome to the KCA Forum.

It appears to me, after carefully scrutinizing you photos, that the metal and wood of your carbine have been refinished. The metal colors are too shiny and 'modern blue/black', markings are blurred, and the wood lacks crisp lines. I do not see the letter "C" on the stock, you mention, (in your photos). Your rear sight is a Rifle sight and the rear screw is not correct (It sticks up too high and should be flush).
Is there a small "c" on the right side of your front sight blade?

You do have a 'long' forearm carbine stock (which was used on 1899 carbines and 1898 carbines, that were updated). You have a carbine barrel. Your receiver serial number is relatively close to known model 1898 carbines.

(Brophy, in "The Krag Rifle", reported model 1898 carbines had been observed, intermixed with rifles, "...in the range from 118,894 to 134,256".

Dick Hosmer and Joe Farmer have put far more study into the relatively rare Model 1898 carbines, than I. I could be wrong on my observations. I do have a model 1898 carbine (#119,744) that was ruined by 'scope-mounting'. It came in a 'long forearm' carbine stock. It had been 'updated' and has the "circled P" stamp but no 'cartouche'.

(Attached is a photo of an original carbine front sight bade that should be present on your carbine).

Hi, thanks for the welcome. It's been in the family and stored away for quite some time so as far as I know it hasn't been refinished. If it has it most likely was picked up after being I know no one had it done in the family. The front site doesn't have any carbine markings, much like the rear. The screw on the rear site makes sense if it were put together changing it to use a 1898C.

I've attached an image of the markings I was referring to. I appreciate your help. This is a very knowledgeable community.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
'ajv': I haven't seen that one before. Maybe it's a National Guard company marking? (Or a 'Condemned' mark)!

Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
One common usage for the large "C" was to indicate that something was condemned. Other meanings are, of course, possible.

As to value - the rifle sight hurts because it fits NO official scenario. If it had a carbine sight it would have the same value as an 1899 carbine. As is, it would be less.

Whether or not it ever was a real carbine would be a gamble at this point. Too many years and too many hands have come and gone to ever be completely sure. A (very) faint hope would be that a long-lost cache of serials turns up in the future, and yours was listed, or there were a bunch of really "close" numbers which would tend to, statistically at least, improve your position.

Right now, you are smack in the middle of the "Great 1898 Carbine Morass" with no lifeline in sight. You do have plenty of company, however!  Smiley

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
'ajv': Flash pictures can really confuse colors and contours. I find natural light photos, taken on an overcast day to avoid shadow, give the most accurate appearance. Krag metal parts have very subtle colors that vary with the finish treatment of each specific part. Later types of gun finishes make all parts look uniform. Camera 'Flashes' give odd reflections and colors. FWIW

IP Logged

ajv
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Apr 16th, 2015 at 6:55pm:
One common usage for the large "C" was to indicate that something was condemned. Other meanings are, of course, possible.

As to value - the rifle sight hurts because it fits NO official scenario. If it had a carbine sight it would have the same value as an 1899 carbine. As is, it would be less.

Whether or not it ever was a real carbine would be a gamble at this point. Too many years and too many hands have come and gone to ever be completely sure. A (very) faint hope would be that a long-lost cache of serials turns up in the future, and yours was listed, or there were a bunch of really "close" numbers which would tend to, statistically at least, improve your position.

Right now, you are smack in the middle of the "Great 1898 Carbine Morass" with no lifeline in sight. You do have plenty of company, however!  Smiley

I haven't seen another yet that had that marking so that makes a lot of sense. At this point I'm looking for its value to determine its collect-ability rather than sale. If it's not worth keeping in the collection I'll most likely just get rid of it. I appreciate your input. Everyone has been really helpful.

I have the rifle to hold on to if I should decide to get rid of the carbine in question. It's in rougher shape but otherwise untouched.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
'ajv': When U.S. arms were condemned, it's likely the metal action or barrel was involved. If stamped with the "C", it is likely it was done in several places, especially on the action. Possibly your carbine stock came off such an arm and was salvaged by someone. It is not likely a stock would be 'condemned'. It would be replaced.

How is the bore on your carbine? Nothing helps bonding to a collectable arm more than shooting it.

IP Logged

ajv
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 12:00am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Apr 16th, 2015 at 11:36pm:
'ajv': When U.S. arms were condemned, it's likely the metal action or barrel was involved. If stamped with the "C", it is likely it was done in several places, especially on the action. Possibly your carbine stock came off such an arm and was salvaged by someone. It is not likely a stock would be 'condemned'. It would be replaced.

How is the bore on your carbine? Nothing helps bonding to a collectable arm more than shooting it.

That would make sense as it's only in the one spot and it seems this krag has been pieced together. Overall it's pretty clean, with exception to some cosmoline and such as its been in storage. The bore is clean. It was definitely maintained over the years. I'd consider having it cleaned up if I decide to hold on to it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint