Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Finally settled on a match load (Read 14162 times)
Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Finally settled on a match load
Apr 22nd, 2015 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I've been working on and off to develop a match load for my 1898 Krag rifle. 

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

I finally settled on the Hornady 220 grain RN SP over 40 grains of IMR4350, using W-W brass (match prepped) and CCI200 primers.  The results of this load far outstripped the performance of any other load I tried.  The 5 shots are at 6 and 9 o'clock in the 10 and X rings.  The vertically strung group of 5 above are from a 180 grain Sierra RN test load.

Now to load up a bunch and get to practicing.

Keith

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Finally settled on a match load
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Sounds like you're on the right track Keith.  I use the exact same load for my matches with one exception - I use the CCI 250 Magnum primer to ensure a more consistent burn with the 4350.  The 220RN/40 gr 4350 is about as close as you can get to the original .30 Army round with modern powder and components.  I'm using mostly R P brass., although I do have a decent supply of the Winchester brass too.

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer,

If I recall from one our earlier discussions, you do not crimp your loads.  I'm using a Lee Factory Crimp Die.  I'm wondering if this helps get a complete burn?  Thoughts?
Keith

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Oh no... I always use the Lee FCD.  I use the magnum primers because the 4350 is a slower burning powder and doesn't light as easily as some of the faster powders like 4895 and 4064... but 4350 works very well in a longer barrel with a heavier/slower bullet.

Are you planning on shooting at Perry this year?  You should squad with Bob Wolfe (Madsenshooter) and me.  We're shooting vintage on Sunday morning (Garand is Saturday morning this year).

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 1:11am
Print Post  
We have been using that same load with magnum primers for some time now with good results. We have never crimped and have not had any problems as of yet.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
The crimping for me is just for my own piece of mind... but doesn't really prevent problems with feeding for the round nosed bullets.  It does play an important part with spitzer bullets for me though.  If I don't crimp them, then I will experience telescoping when feeding spitzers.  With the crimp, both of my 98s feed them great!

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Apr 23rd, 2015 at 11:37pm:
Oh no... I always use the Lee FCD.  I use the magnum primers because the 4350 is a slower burning powder and doesn't light as easily as some of the faster powders like 4895 and 4064... but 4350 works very well in a longer barrel with a heavier/slower bullet.

Have you chrono'd the load trying both primers (cci 200 vs 250)?  If so, did you see a reduction in SD and ES?

Keith

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Nope, never chrono'd my rounds (too poor to afford a chronograph, LOL).

Using a magnum primer with 4350 is not out of the realm.  Remember, all military rounds use a magnum primer regardless of the powder.  CCI 34 and CCI 41 primers are the military round standard and they are just CCI 250 and CCI 500 primers with slightly thicker primer cup material (to prevent slam fire).

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
A crimp does make start pressure (pressure needed to get the bullet moving) more consistent.  I generally try to avoid them with cast bullets as too much can size the cast bullet down as it passes through with low pressure loads.  You certainly can't complain about that group Keith.  One little notch up and they'd have all been Xs!  Bob still isn't sure about Camp Perry.  He shot a match last weekend and the black ball is now a grey ball!  That was through a Garand peep, might not be as bad with an open sight.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2015 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
How does the Sierra 220 gr RN compare to the Hornady 220 grain RN SP?

I have a couple hundred of the Sierras back home and would like to use them.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2015 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
That's a good question.  I ordered the Sierra 220s this spring because the Hornady are becoming hard to get (seasonal run from here on out).  I can tell you that the Sierra bullets have a slightly different profile, with a little more pronounced taper from the nose to the cannelure.  Also, the cannelure is a little more forward which leave more bearing surface in the case neck.  This should hold the bullet in alignment through the throat.  I'll know for sure in the next CMP match at Kalamazoo in a few weeks.

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2015 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 9:49pm:
How does the Sierra 220 gr RN compare to the Hornady 220 grain RN SP?

I have a couple hundred of the Sierras back home and would like to use them.

In my testing the Sierra 220 grain RN SP was not quite as accurate as the Hornady, but I'm still playing with it.  37.5 grains of IMR4350 seems to be what my gun likes but further testing is required.

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2015 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Based on feedback, I've continued to fine tune my match load of the 220 Hornady JRN over 40 grains of IMR 4350.  Originally using the CCI 200 (standard) primer the majority of the rounds would go into a very tight group, but with each group there would be rounds straying high and left.  I shot a 10 shot group yesterday and 6 out of 10 shot a great group but the other four exhibited this same behavior.  About 10 ring size at 100 yards, but the strays bothered me.

I then shot the same load but using the CCI 250 (magnum) primer.  Everything else exactly the same.  The group overall was much more consistent and concentric, but without the really tight groupings I sometimes see with the non-mag primer load.  You'll also notice the group printed higher on the target indicating a higher velocity.  The lack of vertical stringing also indicates the ES and SD are both lower and more consistent.

I suspect the velocity is now a bit too high, and out of the bullet's sweet spot.  My next loads will be with 39 and 39.5 grains of IMR 4350 to drop the velocity down a bit.  Hoping it will tighten it up even more.

Keith

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2015 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Looks like you're getting there!

IP Logged

Keith Herrington
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 25th, 2015 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Went again to the range to shoot at 100 yards.  I don't think one or two groups give me a real feel for how the load is doing so shooting it over time will give me a better idea.  Shot this 10-shot group today followed by a 5-round group the same size, using the 220 Hornady RN, 40 grains of IMR 4350 with a CCI 200 primer.

Went to the range again to verify groups and shot the three you see below.  The middle group is the first shot.  The upper shot is from a cold clean barrel.  The other four went into a 10 ring size group as did the next two groups.

I've 20 rounds of this load left so next trip to Fort Meade I'll be trying it out at 200 yards at a SR2 target.  Should prove very interesting.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2015 at 10:16pm by Keith Herrington »  

Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint