Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Advice Needed on Magazine Feed Problem (Read 9284 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Advice Needed on Magazine Feed Problem
Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
The length of the carrier's arbor, the vertical shaft that holds it in, is the give away on different carriers.  Earlier ones were 1.049" long, later ones 1.0".

IP Logged

kerry49
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Thanks for the additional information! Attached are some pictures of the carrier and the installed/extended views. I did measure the arbor and I get 1.046 with my dial caliper. The carrier assembly doesn't appear to have any markings. You can see that the follower doesn't extend out as far as the nominal pictures shown in this thread. If I just install the carrier/follower and move it to the extended position it comes out all the way as it should.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 3:27am
Print Post  
It appears to me that there is a burr and a pronounced area of rubbing, (see arrows), on what would be the upper edge of your follower. It is likely that this surface is dragging against an internal surface of the receiver.

(Also, per 'Madsenshooters' measurements, your follower-arm shaft/cam is .046" longer than the later model 1898 type. This possibly is causing the whole assembly to sit high and bind).

BTW - Your magazine cut-off is in the 'block cartridge feed' position.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2018 at 5:47am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

kerry49
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going to wait for my "new" carrier/follower to get here and see if that fixes the problem. I have 4 rifles in fine working order, so not going to be tearing them apart on this issue. This is a starter/ learning project for me. I suspect that this action that I have is put together from parts by someone, not me. Although I may add my parts here soon Smiley

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
While you are waiting:

If you 'Dress' the area on the follower, (indicated by 'arrows'), with a fine File and polish with fine paper or a Scotch-brite pad, you may find things start to work properly.

IP Logged

kerry49
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks BR, I'll give it a try. Anyway I need more practice putting it together and taking it apart. Ha!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Clean it up as suggested first, but if that doesn't do it, I've put the arbor in a vise and bent the follower arm a wee bit to get away from the top of the magazine.  They don't bend easily, but it doesn't take much.  I had a failure to feed on the last round in the last match I shot.  I suspect the follower got caught and wasn't pushing that last round up.  I worked the bolt again and the cartridge popped up when the bolt came all the way back.  My situation is different though, I have a newer follower with the shorter arbor in a 92/96.  The shape of the arm itself is a bit different too, seems to get the shoulder of the cases up higher.

Top is an older follower, out of a 92/96, bottom a newer one with the shorter arbor.  Notice the wave of the arm on the lower one is increased.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2018 at 5:16pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
At the risk of bringing back a thread from the dead, I wanted to offer insight "for the next guy."  I am working on a 1898 action with some 1896 parts.  My research had led me to think the followers were the same, because vendors (Granpas included) list the follower as being for "all models".  I replaced the side plate, the loading door with 1898 versions.  The original 1896 spring is in good condition, there is plenty of resistance when opening and snapping the door shut.

The 1896 follower/carrier would ride against the bottom of the 1898 magazine slightly, and then would not fully extend.  Even with the side plate removed, the follower would not fully extend.  If the carrier was the only thing installed (door and spring removed), then it was able to extend fully.  The tab on the bottom of the 1898 door that pulls the follower away when the door is opened is what is limiting the follower to extend all the way.  There is, obviously, a corresponding slope on the follower that might be different 1898 to 1896.

I've ordered a 1898 follower and will give it a go.  If it doesn't fix the issue, which I really think it will, then I may try a different door.  But all of the pictures I've found show my door is a standard 1898 door, the spring is in spec, and the hinge pin is ok.  The 1896 follower arbor measured at 1.033.

What I don't know is if the 1896 door would have worked correctly with my 1896 carrier in the 1898 receiver - but my research previously had told me that it would not, because of, well, differences, I guess.

I'll update when the part arrives.

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Update, follower fixed me right up.

1896 follower did not function correctly in an otherwise 1898 setup.  The dead giveaway was with the side plate removed and magazine closed, the arm did not extend past the exterior edge of the opposite (side plate) side.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint