Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Failure to Feed Problem (Read 4346 times)
kragshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Failure to Feed Problem
May 8th, 2015 at 12:14am
Print Post  
I have a U.S. Model 1898 Krag rifle that occasionally has a failure to feed problem.  Upon cycling the action, the bolt does not engage the rim of the cartridge to push it into the chamber, sliding over it. This problem always seems to occur with rounds 3 and 4.  A quick open/close of the loading gate always resolves the problem. I am using reloaded ammunition: 150 gr jacketed bullet with Remington brass.  The rifle is in overall very good condition. Is this a problem often experienced in Krags?  Have others had this problem?  Thanks

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Failure to Feed Problem
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2015 at 4:11am
Print Post  
"kragshooter": Welcome to the KCA Forum.

If you check this forum under the topic "U.S. Military Krags", you will see some recent posts regarding Krag feed problems. I have had generally good success with model 1898 Krags being tolerant with my reloads. (Usually 165 and 168 grain spitzers).

It sounds like you have a slight feed hang-up, that is resolved by the jarring that occurs, when the loading-gate snaps shut. I would suspect old dried grease and give the cartridge feed-path a thorough cleaning. Make sure the left side-plate is fully seated.

You may have to experiment with your Over All Cartridge Length. Your rounds may be too short, and allow too much fore and aft movement, for a smooth feed. I have had problems, with 147grain spitzer bullet Re-loads feeding at a different angle, and the bullet nose hanging-up on the breech-face and not entering the chamber.

IP Logged

kragshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Failure to Feed Problem
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2015 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks, butlersrangers.  The sideplate screw was slightly loose and I tightened.  The magazine was mostly gunk-free, but I gave it a good cleaning.  I just cycled 60 rounds through the action with no failures.  Previously, I would have expected about 1 round out of 5 to fail to feed.  Looks like the problem may be solved.  Many thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint