Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Swapping exectors & ejector pins (Read 6604 times)
banjobill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Swapping exectors & ejector pins
May 11th, 2015 at 1:11am
Print Post  
For my first venture into the world of Krags I am doing a rebuild project starting with the stock (with a 1901 cartouche), trigger, and receiver (with a 1901 serial number -according to Bower's list). My brother was able to buy a barrel and receiver with a serial number from 1904.

Here's the trouble. The 1904 receiver has no ejector or pin. Since i wish to use it and its barrel (at least for the time being) should I be able to use the ejector and pin from the 1901 in the 1904 receiver? The trouble is it won't slide in. It will start (about 1/16 inch or less) but not more. Yes it could be corrosion in the hole or just dirty, but before I start digging at it I wanted to know if these two are supposed to mesh or not.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Swapping exectors & ejector pins
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2015 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Both actions are model 1898 Krags. They use the same parts. Try cleaning the ejector pin hole with a pipe-cleaner soaked with Hoppe's #9. Clean out debris and hardened grease with a small jeweler's screw-driver. The Ejector Pin has a notched end, which remains exposed, when other end is fully inserted into hole.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2015 at 3:35am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

banjobill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2015 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Once again you have been a great help. I notice there are different kinds of notches. It is only on one side as compared to other kinds that encircle the entire pin. Does it matter the direction the notch faces as it is sticking out?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2015 at 7:05am
Print Post  
''banjobill": It sounds like your ejector pin is one of the two types used on the early 1892 Krags. The model 1896 and 1898 Krags use a pin that has the notch entirely encircle it. I'm not sure that your 'early pin' will fit into the side-plate correctly on an 1896 or 1898 action.

IP Logged

banjobill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2015 at 8:52am
Print Post  
I see. Well, it did come out of a receiver that has a 1901 serial number, but that does not mean it was not altered. I will do the cleaning and see how it fits then. If if does, do you see any reason to NOT use it? Undecided

I just saw that your post referred to it fitting into the side plate. You may be right if it sticks out too far and won't let the side plate sit flush. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. According to my calipers the pin is .955 in. long, but I have no other to compare it with.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2015 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
The earliest pins had an "arm" coming out from one side and the receiver was notched to accomodate same. Once that was dropped they went to the pin with a groove around the head - some means being needed to withdraw the pin.

You may even have something home-made; a suitable emergency replacement can actually be made from a nail.

The part is not essential to operation of the gun, being on the list of parts which could be eliminated in a service emergency.

The ejector is a very weak point in the design anyhow - sometimes the rifle needs to be rolled to the right under normal circumstances.

The sideplate has a clearance hole to allow it to fit over a properly formed and seated pin. If the pin is home-made, and is too long, that could cause a problem, too.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2015 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Just a side note. Place no stock in Bowers site his information is mostly flawed.

IP Logged

banjobill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2015 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Whom, or where, do you recommend?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2015 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
There is NO better on-line source for Krag information than right here, period.

If you want to buy a book, I would start with "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine" by Poyer. At the guru level, it has some problems - the largest, IMHO, being the assignment of component "type designations" not used by the government, but it will help the beginner immensely. Other works are available by Farmer, Brophy, and Mallory.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
'banjobill': The KCA Forum does not have a very good "search function", but, there is lots of good information stored here. You just have to explore it (tedious, but, interesting).

If you go to the Heading - 'Older Threads', there are 130 pages of topics, questions and responses. There is lots of interesting stuff located there.

Also, at the top of this page, there is a running Banner. 'Click' on "Visit the KCA Website today". This will take you to a Main Page. 'Click' on Tabs, like 'photos', and this opens all kinds of neat stuff.

Other Forums (I enjoy) that have some 'Krag' threads and discussion are: 'Culvers Shooting Page Forums', 'Military Surplus Collectors Forums' and 'Gunboards Forums'.

p.s. - I agree with Dick Hosmer that the Poyer book is helpful and useful (and less than $20) with lots of info. and good photos.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
'banjobill' - FYI:

I measured a model 1898 Krag ejector pin from my spare parts box. The length is .903 inches and the diameter is .095 inches.

BTW - These original parts (ejector & pin) are often available on ebay for $15 to $25, as a 'set'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint