Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Questions on my 1899 Kraig (Read 10630 times)
Jim_Bo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Questions on my 1899 Kraig
Jun 14th, 2015 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Hello all. I am new to this forum and have a few questions about my Kraig.

My grandfather used an 1899 Kraig in WWI and my father bought an 1899 Kraig in the late 1950's which he used for deer hunting for about 20 years and handed it down to me in the 90's. Recently I got interested in it and am cleaning it and getting it ready to shoot after more then 30 years. In getting the rifle ready to shoot I noticed that it does not have an upper hand guard. Did someone remove this or were some made without it? It does not have a rear sight either so I would like to find and original one if possible. My dad had a scope mounted on it for hunting.

The S/N on this gun is 230472. Does anyone know when this rifle was made?

Thank you.

Jim   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Questions on my 1899 Kraig
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 4:36am
Print Post  
'Jim_Bo': Welcome to the KCA Forum. BTW - There is no "i" in Krag. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)!

I assume your Krag's receiver is marked "Model 1899". The Model 1899 was only made as a cavalry carbine. Your serial number, 230472, is in a 'block' of numbers used for carbines. Your Krag was assembled around October, 1899. Krag receivers were numbered and went into parts bins. Krags were not built, or accepted for service in numerical order, so dating is approximate.

The Krag carbine barrels are 22 inches long, when measured from muzzle to (closed) bolt face. All Krag models had a hand-guard when issued. A common step, when using a Krag for hunting, was to remove the hand-guard and change sights. If you post some pictures of your Krag, you will get a more specific analysis from KCA members.

Your Krag is an early Model 1899, so initially, it probably had the rare and short lived model 1898 carbine rear-sight. These sights were pulled out of service and replaced with model 1896, 1901, and 1902 carbine rear-sights. Each of these sight models has a specific hand-guard(s). You can view photos of these different sights and hand-guards, if you go to the KCA Website main page and click on the tab 'photos'.

The different Krag carbine rear-sights are quite expensive (with a lot of fakery).  They are hard to find loose and prices range from $175 to $600, depending on model. Krag rifle sights are much more plentiful ($45 to $75) and can fill in for most applications. Reproduction hand-guards are available and cost around $65. Original hand-guards show up on ebay and GunBroker, but, are expensive and often have issues. Krag rear-sight screws are peculiar to each sight model and have an unusual thread. Reproductions and originals are available.

I would recommend you buy a $20 book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", by Joe Poyer. It has good photos and can guide you through some of this trivia.

If your Krag's receiver was drilled and tapped, spend no $, use it as is.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2015 at 2:49am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Jim_Bo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Butler,

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I will look around for an inexpensive site maybe a 1901 or something like that. I will ask a gunsmith, I know, what he thinks and if he knows a source for an inexpensive one.

In the mean time I will have to bite the bullet, ha ha, and spent the $30 to $40 bucks for a box of 30-40 ammo so I can shoot the rifle.

Thanks again.

Jim

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 10:52am
Print Post  
You might just want to save your brass too.  You will definitely be bitten by the Krag-bug, like countless others of us... and 30-40 ammo ain't cheap.  Reloading is a very affordable way to enjoy your Krag in the long term.  Most of us do (I myself have to get busy and load some for upcoming matches, including the Nationals next month)

IP Logged

Jim_Bo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 12:42am
Print Post  
I will definitely save the brass and give it to someone who does reloading.

I would love to go to the Nationals, as a spectator, sounds like fun. Where is this one located?

Thanks

Jim

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
The National Rifle Matches are held at Camp Perry in Port Clinton, Ohio every summer.  Usually held over the first week of August, however this year, it's the third week of July (due to the Parma matches being held in August).  The Garand match is Saturday the 18th in the morning,  and the Vintage and Springfield matches are on the 18th and Sunday the 19th.  Garand match is for any As-Issued Garand rifle.  Springfield is any As-Issued 1903, 1903A, 1903 A1, or 1903A3 Springfield rifle.  Vintage Rifle is for any As-Issued US Krag or 1917 rifle, or any mechanically operated foreign rifle, such as a Mauser, Arisaka, K31 Swiss, Russian Nagant, etc.  There are a number of us who shoot every year... and I, along with (hopefully) several others will be shooting our Krags on Sunday the 19th in the morning relay.  I will provide more info as the date gets closer.

IP Logged

muleyy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Questions on my 1898 Kraig carbine
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Hi I have what seems to be an 1898 Krag carbine (my father died - he got it from his father) the serial number seems to be 482456
- I can't find where to look up this number - if any one can tell me that would be great - I am looking to sell this rifle so any advice on that too - it is in great shape - no rust - original leather strap - yours Marc

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2015 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Well - it is not a Model 1898, nor an original carbine. From the contour around bolt handle - both metal and wood - it is the earlier Model 1896, and it is a cut-down rifle. The serial number given is thus too high; 48XXX would be correct. There is a very limited amount of data available, if you want to recheck the number.

There is no collector value, but it is surely a fine hunting rifle.

It is sad that you are desirous of parting with something of your grandfather's - I'd urge you to reconsider, as the amount received will not be great (if you were looking for a large windfall, it's not there). Such pieces sell in the $250-$350 range.

Unaltered originals can fetch upwards of $2,000 for pristine examples. Yours shows considerable wear, in addition to the post-service modifications.

Sorry for not being more upbeat.

IP Logged

muleyy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your answer (and sorry for contacting on the personal message - also I am sorry that I sent you the wrong image of my gun - see attached new photos - as a newbie I am making many mistakes)
yours Marc

IP Logged

muleyy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
and a close-up of the rear sight - I see it is different from what it should be for highest value

IP Logged

muleyy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
and a closeup of the serial number - I have not found the website to look this number up btw

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Marc,

Well, the picture swap explains a lot, but doesn't actually change anything.

Sadly, the gun is still a mish-mash of mixed-vintage parts. 1898C stock (correct for 112000-135000 only) with M1902 rear sight (never used with that barrel band), receiver has been drilled for some sort of scope mount (BIG no-no), barrel has been chopped and a non-Krag front sight installed, etc., etc.

Great hunting gun - absolutely no collector value whatsoever.

Below is what a real 1898 Carbine should look like.

Regards,

Dick

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
'muleyy':  Your Krag, #482456, was built as a Model 1898 Rifle, around September, 1903, near the end of Krag rifle production. Krag receivers were numbered prior to assembly and went into parts bins. They were not built and issued in numerical order, so dating is approximate.

I agree with Dick Hosmer that your Krag is a 'mixmaster' of parts:

You have a model 1898 rifle action and barrel that was cut down to carbine length and a commercial banded front-sight was put on it. It was put into a model 1898 carbine stock. It seems to have a model 1899 carbine barrel-band. Commercial sling swivels look to have been added.

If I am not mistaken, your rear sight is an 1898 rifle sight base with an early 1903 Rod bayonet Springfield leaf. I believe the 1898 leaf spring has been improperly inserted and wedged into the base from the front. At first glance this is confusing and looks something like an 1896 carbine band with sight protecting ears.

This hodgepodge of parts is suggestive of surplus 'parts guns' that were assembled by private sporting goods companies like Stokes Kirk.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 11:13am
Print Post  
I thought something looked wrong about that spring sticking out the front of the sight too.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2015 at 2:40am
Print Post  
'muleyy': Your rear sight's spring (1898 model sight base) should appear like this from the bottom.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint