Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
 25 30/40 Krag reloading? (Read 28064 times)
KWK
KCA Forum Member

Re: 30/40 Krag reloading?
Reply #45 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Okay, I get to eat a little crow today. I looked over the 1895 report from Ordnance which says they are looking at various powders and are willing to accept lots of powder making 38,000 normal and 45,000 when hot. SAAMI's 40,000 for the .30 Krag is, then, reasonable. Regardless, my rolling block won't see over 33,000; there is no back-up locking lug on this rifle.

For what it's worth, Ordnance reports they used only Peyton powder through June of '95, but they had on order Leonard and DuPont powders. Tests were showing the NG content of Leonard was eroding barrels; Peyton was mostly NC and causing no problems. That Peyton was a slow powder is indicated by the complaints of unburned residue filling the locking lug's recess and causing jams.

A question: How "dirty" is 4350 when used in a .30-40-220? My .30-37-180 loads of 4895 are fairly clean.

Interesting was the note they were preparing to test 120 gn .22 caliber ammunition.

The report for Frankford through mid-1898 says they are still using as much Peyton as any other powder for the Krag. DuPont contracts are equally large, and WA from L&R is also being loaded but not in the quantities of Peyton and DuPont. Mean pressures with the latest lots of Peyton are 35,000 and 38,000 maximum. Various tests indicate it is of different composition than earlier lots. They report the granules are soft enough to crush with your fingernails.

The DuPont powder being employed makes higher pressures for 2000 fps, with means near 38,000. (More crow for me.) WA was more like 36,000.

The Wikipedia says the CPW plant was destroyed in an explosion in 1898, so this was likely the last year Frankford will include a report on Peyton. Given the previous erosion reports on the DuPont powder, I suspect 1899 was the year WA became the predominant powder in the .30 Krag, but I don't have the report for that year.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #46 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I think 4350 burns slightly dirtier than 4895 or 4064, but it's really not that bad.  I really clean no harder than I do with my 1903A3, and I use 4895 in that (it does clean up a little easier than my Krag... but not so much as I really worry about it).  I do use a CCI 250 (magnum) primer, which is a little hotter, allowing for a more complete burn than if I was using standard primers.  I'm most likely going to switch to a CCI #34 which is a mil-spec primer (same heat and flame as a 250, but with a thicker cup). 

Now back when I loaded 165 and 180 gr bullets for the Krags, I used 4064 exclusively.  I found that my rifles prefer the 220 gr RN/IMR 4350 load a little better.  I also apply a light crimp with a LEE Factory Crimp Die.  I started crimping back when I used the lighter bullets because if I didn't, then the bullets would telescope during chambering from the magazine, causing the case to become jammed partially in the chamber.  Not a problem with RN bullets.  The feel is much smoother, but I still crimp for consistency.

IP Logged

KWK
KCA Forum Member

Reply #47 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I finally "worked up" my 220 gn load. From Lyman's data, previous chronograph readings for my 180 gn load, and QuickLoad pressure and fps estimates (which are inaccurate at these pressures, but help gauge barrel length changes), I started at 35.0 gn of 4895 (with Remington 9.5 primers) and got fps readings both sides of the desired 2000 fps in my 30" barrel. Thus ends my "working up," until I run out of this bottle of 4895. Pressures should be 31000 to 32000, which makes me feel better--it is just a rolling block. I wouldn't call it a squeaky clean burn, but it's clean enough.

I found interesting the 220 is a relatively mild recoiling load. My butt stock is done in an older style, with the end grain mildly checkered and no plate or pad. My boney teenager was whimpering about the recoil, but I found it quite tolerable. My previous 180 gn load is a bit sharper in recoil, probably because higher speeds mean a shorter thus more abrupt recoil. Compared to the 180, the 220 is in the direction of shove and away from sharp, not that either load is a prime example of shove or sharp.

My rifle is only 6-3/4 lb, and original fps is all I'll care for. It's a grand old cartridge. I was a bit worried to see Remington and Winchester brass supplies dry up, but others have stepped in to the market (at a higher price). I think it's a keeper.

Next up: A reduced recoil 125 gn load for my boney teenager.

Karl

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2017 at 12:53am by KWK »  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #48 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Buy your 'stick boy' a (USMC type) cloth shooting jacket, with sewn in shoulder and elbow pads. He will become a better & happier shooter, if he is not being pounded. In cool weather, he can wear a sweatshirt under it for warmth and added padding.

IP Logged

Todd Doyka
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #49 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
i use a 165gr ranch dog(about 173gr) and 25.5gr of h4198, goes around 1800fps. they are a deer's worst nitemare.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

the right and the left boolits are 165gr rd
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint